Robbers Cave Experiment

In 1954, researchers at the University of Oklahoma were experimenting on intergroup conflict and co-operation. They selected twenty-two twelve-year-old boys and split them randomly into two groups of eleven. The two groups were balanced based on physical, mental, and social ability. Neither group knew that the other group existed. The individual groups were picked up by a bus and transported to a Boys Scouts camp in Robbers Cave State Park. The researchers went along as camp counselors.

Once at the camp, the groups were kept separate and went through team-building exercises to form social norms, leadership, and group structure. Each team chose their team name and were encouraged to bond in pursuit of cooperative discussion and action.

After five days of team bonding, the two groups were introduced to one another and put against one another in competitive games and challenges. The games were purposely chosen to frustrate the teams and the winners were given prizes. After five days of this, the teams became so aggressive towards one another that the researchers had to separate them. The researchers proceeded to individually ask the boys questions about the two teams. The boys’ answers tended to talk highly of their own team and lowly of the opposing team, clearly showing that conflict can cause prejudice and discrimination.

For the remaining six days, the researchers attempted to lessen the tension between the two groups. Fun activities such as watching movies and setting off firecrackers did not bring the two teams together like the researchers had hoped. So, the researchers made teamwork exercises where the two teams were forced to collaborate. After several problem-solving activities with superordinate goals, there was much less intergroup conflict. The researchers concluded that through cooperation, conflict and prejudice can be overcome.

The results of this experiment and their application to the real world could be criticized due to the lack of diversity in the participants (all white middle-class boys). However, I still feel that many of us have seen similar effects of conflict in our everyday lives. For example, the first thing that comes to my mind is the drastic political divide of our nation. Sometimes when we deliberate and take sides on political issues, we fail to see it as a collaborative task where the end goal is to make the world better. People often make harsh judgments towards people of the opposite political party and tend to see their ideas as superior. However, if we eliminate the competitiveness and divide caused by ideological differences, we can see that everyone just wants what is best for the nation. Cooperation between political parties could possibly lessen political tension and in turn, allow for more effective decision-making.

4 thoughts on “Robbers Cave Experiment

• Posted on March 5, 2021 at 10:38 am

I really like how you tie in the conclusions from the experiment to everyday life, it really helped me grasp the concept and understand its implications. This reminds me a lot of workplaces and how in some settings they pit coworkers against each other to encourage competition. The goal is to increase productivity, but I think it more often creates an uncomfortable work environment and might even decrease productivity if people don’t want to even be there anymore.

Reply
  • Posted on March 5, 2021 at 10:39 am

Hi, Adam! Wow! As you said, this study has some interesting implications, especially regarding “in-group” and “outgroup” conflicts that are relevant to many dynamics in our country (e.g., political parties). I appreciate that cooperation was ultimately achievable (and desirable). There is such a power to groups of people when they have a common purpose (and their shared humanity) at the base of their enterprises. Thank you for teaching me about this.

Reply
  • Posted on March 5, 2021 at 10:44 am

I definitely agree that this experiment has some interesting broader applications. When I first starting reading it, the book “Lord of the Flies” came to mind. It is a story about the same demographic in the study being stranded on an island. I wonder if this study was modeled after that.

Reply
  • Posted on March 5, 2021 at 10:47 am

Thank you for sharing this interesting experiment! I totally agree with your idea that people sometimes need to eliminate the competitiveness and cooperate together to make a better world. looking forward to your next blog!

Reply