Violinist at the Metro Experiment

In 2007, Gene Weingarten of the Washington Post conducted a study to test human priorities and how observant people are of what is going on around them. This study posed these several questions: Where, how, and when do we perceive beauty? What prompts us to stop to appreciate it? Do we recognize talent in an unexpected context?

In the experiment, premier violinist and Grammy-winning musician, Joshua Bell, using his violin worth $3.5 million, played six of the most intricate pieces ever written for violin in the Washington D.C. metro station. Two days prior he had sold out a theater in Boston where a seat on average cost $100. However, in the 45 minutes Bell played his violin, one thousand people came within close proximity of him with only seven stopping to listen. Twenty of the one thousand tossed a total of $32 in the violin case at his feet. This means 99.4% of those passing by did not stop to appreciate the incredible talent present.

Obviously, several factors impacted these results. Many people using the subway are on a schedule with places to be, and thus do not have the time to stop and listen. Also, the people passing through probably just associated Bell with the hundreds of other street performers they have heard in their lifetime and tuned him out. The greatest factor, however, was most likely the fact that many of those passing by may not like or appreciate classical music, even if it is played well. However, the number of people that stopped was extremely low; much less than Weingarten had predicted.

After the experiment, Weingarten noted that “If we do not have a moment to stop and listen to one of the best musicians in the world playing the best music ever written, how many other things are we missing?” This is a powerful question and I think it summarizes the entire motive of this experiment. Today, human beings are living such complex and busy lives that we often forget to appreciate the beauty of everyday life and the amazing things happening around us all the time. I tried to put myself into the shoes of those passing by in this experiment. Would I have stopped? Although it disappoints me, the answer is definitely not. I am constantly keeping myself busy and I fail to notice the intricate beauty of my environment and the talents of the people I surround myself with. Many of us are living our lives this way and I believe that learning to be more perceptive and appreciative of everyday beauty would greatly improve human wellness.

7 thoughts on “Violinist at the Metro Experiment

• Posted on April 2, 2021 at 10:50 am

Adam, this is so interesting! The question towards the end “how many other things are we missing?” is so powerful and also quite humbling. So many of us are caught up with so many tasks we set out to complete each day but we often forget to really enjoy the world around us. Great post!

Reply
    • Posted on September 4, 2022 at 9:51 pm

bruh

Reply
      • Posted on March 10, 2023 at 8:35 am

LMAOOO

Reply
    • Posted on June 30, 2024 at 1:29 am

WHAT UP NO WAY JOSE

Reply
  • Posted on April 2, 2021 at 10:53 am

This is a pretty cool experiment, and I like its message. Seeing the beauty in the mundane is something I want to do more as well. Also, maybe people did recognize the talent of the violinist, but they didn’t prioritize it over their schedules?

Reply
  • Posted on April 2, 2021 at 11:00 am

I found your post and this experiment very interesting! I think often times we fail to notice intricate beauty that is often around us, and this experiment seems to convey that.

Reply
  • Posted on February 23, 2023 at 12:35 pm

Fist off, great experiment! I agree with you in regards to societies’ need to “stop and smell the roses.” Although it took me TOO many dark and lost years, I feel fortunate to say that those experiences are what “woke me up.” As terrible as they were, every experience had some kind of lesson. Learning from those lessons are what allowed me to propel my desires to focus on my own personal growth and search for enlightenment. With that said, I have,NO DOUBT, I would’ve been the 8th person to stop – even if it was just to listen. And I don’t typically “jam” to classical music-lol. Anyway, my point is, the other day I DID stop when I saw a “violinist” playing at my local grocery store. But, much to my dismay, he was no REAL violinist ! My heart sunk ! I was completely disappointed and insulted! Again, bad experience, but as a result of my conscience attempts to become more aware and appreciative of the people, places and things around me, I was able to recognize it. Lesson learned this time-remain astute 😊. ( btw: it was that incident that led me to your article.)

Reply