“This is not my first language. I don’t understand English very goodly.”-Gloria

Alright guys, it had to happen. I’ve gone through most of the main stereotypes present in American culture, but as I’m sure you’ve noticed I’ve avoided the one that hits closest to home: the Hispanic sterotypes.

Luckily, you get the inside scoop froma real- live Hispanic(wait.. they have those in StateCollege?!). But most Hispanic stereotypes can be exemplified by one character: Gloria from modern family.

Sofia Vergara represents all that is Latin: she has the accent, the curves, and more sex appeal than should be humanly possible. In the hit new shwo Modern Family, she plays a young columbian woman married to a rich, much older man.

Stereotype One : Hispanics can’t speak English

image

Just FYI, that is NOT true. What is true is that most Hispanics in America are bilingual by the age of seven. There are some people who just migrated to the US who haven’t learned English yet, but tust me they’re trying. I’d just like to share that once a woman came up to me and was like: ” So you were like… born speaking Spanish right?” When I retorted ‘No, were you born speaking German?” She looked at me like I had three heads.

Stereotype Two: Hispanics are violent criminals

Reality: Illegal Immigrants are just as likely to be criminals are nonimmigrants: aka just because some countries are going through turmoil doesn’t mean we’re going to climb into your bed and slit your throat.

Stereotype: Hispanics are loud

Ok, this one is true.

Stereotype: Hispanics are Sexcrazed

Now-a-days, Hispanics are portrayed as sex idols, this can be dated back to Rudolph Valentino: the first Latin “sex object”. Sure, a lot of Hispanics have great bodies, it’s in the genes, but that does not mean that they want to use them! Many Hispanics are actually extremely catholic and wait until marriage. Regardless, there will always be women like Sofia Vegara who gained popularity based off of her sex appeal, but Hispanics as a whole should not be put into a category of “I want to have sex with you”.

Stereotype: Hispanics are suuuuper fertile

As far as I know, this one is also true. Inspired by the growing number of Hispanic pregnancies across America, Hispanics are viewed as extreme baby makers. In my family alone, three babies were concieved with the use of two forms of birth control. I only have one Aunt.

Stereotype: Hispanics are emotioal

This stereotype stems from the popular Spanish novellas, and like American Soap Operas, they are NOT an accurate representation of Hispanic culture! Yes, Hispanic women are emotional, but it doesn’t mean we’re running around crying all the time because our ex husband’s evil twin slept wih both of my sisters.

Stereotype: We are all Mexican

No. Just no. Also: we are not all illegal, WOWZA!

Americans tend to see a lot of Mexicans, because it is the country closest to the US border, however Mexicans don’t even make up half of the Hispanic presence in the United States. Also, only about 1 million Hispanics come over illegally each year. This may sound alot, but this is only a fraction of the total Hispanic population in the United States.

In total, Hispanics aren’t exactly what you think we are. Although some major stereotypes are based off of truth, Hispanics are breaking stereotypes such as these everyday.As long as illegal immigration remains a serrious issue of national security, Hispanics will be put in the spotlight, hence creating copious amonts of untrue stereotypes. If i can leave you with two things, just remember this:

1. Not all Hispanics are Mexican!

and

2. No, I don’t want to sleep with you just because I’m Hispanic kthnxbai

13 thoughts on ““This is not my first language. I don’t understand English very goodly.”-Gloria

1. Great job Adelina! Stereotypes in general can just be really negative, although they can still be portrayed in a humorous manner such as in Modern Family. You have some really strong points amongst a really witty post, which is awesome. This definitely ties into my CI blog about multiculturalism! People aren’t willing to adopt different attitudes and to do away with stereotypes that are so easily ingrained into our everyday existence.

2. Oh, Gloria. Although with Hispanics are violent stereotype, I think you missed an opportunity to include the brilliant scene when she kills a rat:

“Gloria Delgado-Pritchett: [Swinging a shovel] What? First you smash it, then you cut the head off.
    Jay Pritchett: Like it was nothing.
    Gloria Delgado-Pritchett: I go to church now.
    Jay Pritchett: She left the head out there to send a message to the other rats.”

You’re such a funny writer when it comes to talking about stereotypes, but you have some real weight behind what you’re saying. Very impressive 🙂

3. Hispanic stereotypes have become not even remotely logical, especially considering that each country has such incredibly different culture that defining every hispanic as a Mexican is absolutely ridiculous. Ok, I will admit it, most hispanic women are, well, attractive there is no denying it. The stereotype that one is “obsessed” with sex just because if how they were raised or where they were born is almost even more laughable than the Mexican stereotype. I enjoyed this post and got a few very solid laughs out of it lol.

4. I’ve never seen Modern Family, but now I want to watch it! The pictures and gifs you used were hilarious, and they made your blog really easy to follow and understand. It’s sad that there are so many stereotypes out there still, and most of them are not true! I think that once we decrease people’s ignorance of different cultures can we then get rid of some of these ridiculous stereotypes.

5. Throughout the post, it seemed as if you refuted or denied bad stereotypes that you didn’t like and enforced good ones. You discussed how not all Hispanics are Mexicans and murderers who do not know English. However, you also stated that physical attractiveness is a true stereotype and all Hispanics being loud is also true. Also stated in the post, all Hispanic immigrants are trying to learn English, “Trust me, they’re trying”. I feel as if many immigrants who are old and just come to America for better opportunities for their children may not necessarily be looking to learn English. If a middle-aged adult is living in a Hispanic-Dominated town in America, they do not necessarily have to learn English to live, especially if their kids learn English.

Lastly, the first sentence of the last paragraph is possibly inferring that everyone else stereotypes Hispanics. “Hispanics aren’t exactly what you think we are”. It would be best if you replaced “you” with a term like “some people”.

6. I loved this post! Very funny. In middle school, my Spanish teacher was Hispanic and everyone was constantly making jokes and judging her based off of most of these stereotypes. While it was true that she didn’t speak perfect English, it was a second language that she didn’t pick up until way passed the window in which it is best to learn a language. She was still perfecting her speech and grammar. Besides, we were all horrible at speaking Spanish… what was our excuse? I think that it is important to recognize that the media, especially comedy shows, will show the stereotypes because it is funnier… not necessarily because it is accurate.

7. The clips on this post were PERFECT!! Not only did you take a serious subject and add your input, but you also made it light-hearted and fun so that I could continue reading about it without feeling as though I am being lectured. I have to say, you tackled most of the stereotypes that are associated with the Hispanic culture and you did it very well, I might add! I think that many should worry about their own culture before judging another! Stereotypes bring about no good!

8. I like the way you handled this serious subject. Putting in those clips from Modern family demonstrated your points and actually made me realize how stupid those stereotypes sound after seeing them acted out in such a drastic manor. The exaggeration in those pictures really shows the stereotype and makes you laugh at the same time. I also enjoyed your tone. Especially after the “Hispanics are all loud…. Ok this one is true.” The tone piled with these pictures really got your message across in a fun and easy to understand manner. Great Job.

9. Week after week, I really enjoy reading your posts… you make them FUN and EASY to read. Kudos to you! This post in particular clearly took effort to write, obvious with the plethora of gifs and photos you included. These inserts are not only funny, but they present the stereotypes you are proving wrong. I like that you are standing up for yourself.

10. This blog made me laugh, in the best way possible. I love Modern Family, and particularly Gloria! At the same time, now I feel kind of guilty for laughing at all the stereotypical things that she does while on the show.
    Anyways, I like how you addressed specifically how not all hispanics are Mexican. It really bothers me across the board how many assume that all Latinas are Mexican, how all Asians are Chinese, etc. It’s so offensive, and it’s disrespectful in a sense, because it’s like people are saying “your culture isn’t even worth getting to know, and it’s not worth identifying it outside the only known stereotype or culture.”

11. Adelina, thanks for addressing stereotypes that are so personal to you. I love that you incorporate pictures and gifs to make your writing much more interesting. I’m honestly never bored when reading anything you write, which is something kind of rare to be so consistent in. The media often portrays Hispanics exactly like you’ve said, with Sofia as the epitome of all things seemingly “Hispanic”. The use of her as your main example to refute was very effective. Good job!

12. This is honestly the funniest thing ever. Not the content, the way you used those gif things. Spot on. I love that you bring this up because I know people have such a huge problem with Hispanics. In my town, for example, we call cramming a TON of people into a car “Mexi-packing”. We fit 12 people in a 5 person car once…. It’s funny that you bring this up not only because I don’t think it’s fair that people ask these questions but because I know I’ve asked at least one of them in my life. People say it’s because they “don’t understand” but it’s because they never try to. They like to stereotype which is really awful, but unfortunately it’s a problem we have to face.

13. Finally! Lol now every time I get these stupid questions I can give them the link to your blog. Fun observation when I visited San Juan: people who live in Puerto Rico actually speak better English than those who immigrate to Puerto Rico. Thanks for finally addressing some of the stereotypes that our culture. Side note, my mom was the youngest of 13, waiting on some scientific explanation for that stereotype.