A Complete Travel Guide: Antigua, Guatemala

Is Central America on your travel bucket list? Are you trying to escape to the beautiful city of Antigua?

Antigua, Guatemala is home to some of the world’s most unique and amazing architecture; a specific color scheme of bright buildings line the street. As soon as you step onto the uneven cobblestone streets that are intricately nestled together on the pavement, you will know you have arrived.

Things to Do

Parque Nacional Volcan De Pacaya (Mount Pacaya National Park)

Pacaya National Park is located in the southeastern side of Guatemala, about 45 minutes outside the city of Antigua. It has 6 mountains, the most active and highest mountain being Pacaya. This volcano saw its first eruption 23,000 years ago, and it has continued to stay active since the 1960’s.

After walking a few miles, you’ll find yourself standing on hot, active lava where you can actually roast tasty marshmallows! This is an experience you will never forget.

Arco de Santa Catalina (Santa Catalina Arch)

The Santa Catalina Arch, situated in the heart of Antigua, is one of the most popular tourist attractions in the city. It stands out in its beautiful yellow color, and the centerpiece consists of a stunning analog clock. Beautiful volcanoes stand out in the background to provide of the most picturesque locations.  Beware- this place gets very busy during the daytime hours, so be sure to arrive early in the morning if you want to avoid photo-bombing!

From Wikepedia 

Food to Eat

La Familia Pizzería y Panadería

I know what you may be thinking: pizza in Guatemala? Why would I travel to Central America and eat pizza? I thought the same thing. Until I realized that my homestay was next door to the most delicious smelling sourdough pizzeria I had ever smelt. Anyone who has visited Guatemala knows that they have lots of “panaderías” (bakeries) that they take pride in. This family owned pizza shop makes all of their dough fresh out of sourdough, and it does not disappoint. The crust is large and bubbly with so much doughy flavor, and their toppings are fresh and tasty. If you find yourself missing food from the United States while away, check out this amazing pizza place!

El Viejo Cafe

El Viejo Cafe was a frequent breakfast spot for me during my stay in Antigua. Along with their bread, Guatemala also takes pride in their amazing coffee. The beans are always fresh and rich in taste. El Viejo combined the two to serve an amazing breakfast. My go-to was always a hot cappuccino and one of their freshly baked, fluffy croissants; sometimes we would even finish off breakfast with their amazing selection of homemade gelato!

Cafe Sky

If you’re looking to try a more traditional Guatemalan breakfast during your stay, check out Cafe Sky. They have an amazing rooftop bar with some of the most wonderful views of the mountains. I suggest trying the traditional breakfast consisting of Ranchero eggs, plantains and black beans. It is a great way to immerse yourself in their fascinating culture.

Thank you.

Information from the first paragraph is thanks to: https://peakvisor.com/park/parque-nacional-volcan-de-pacaya.html

3 thoughts on “A Complete Travel Guide: Antigua, Guatemala

1. I really enjoyed reading this and the I think the pictures added a lot to the post! The photos really add to your words, which were already very descriptive, by showing the reader exactly what you’re talking about by breaking the text up into manageable sizes.

2. Your blogs always made me wish I was anywhere but Central PA lol. The food sounds so good. Can’t wait to see what place you review next!!

3. Antigua seems like such a beautiful place to visit! I would love to go to the rooftop bar at Cafe Sky, sounds like a great view and awesome food!