African Horned Melon

Unfortunately, I can not think of a pun for the title of this post, you shall just have to go another week without reading yet another fruit pun. Formally known as Cucumis metuliferus, the African horned melon, which is also known as kiwano, is a fruit from the central and southern regions of Africa. It is a popular snack and found in Australia, New Zealand, and parts of the United States. Kiwano grows in the fields and is very quick to take over, classifying it as a weed in some parts of the world. The African horned melon has a long history, being an integral part of life in the Kalahari desert where water is scarce. Due to its long shelf life, the fruit can be consumed months after harvest. It’s also an excellent source of vital vitamins and minerals such as vitamins A and C and calcium. When hollowed out, kiwano can be used for decorative purposes as well due to the horns on the skin that give it a sort of natural stability.

As its name suggests, the appearance of the melon is a little…devilish. When ripe, the outer skin of the African horned melon is bright orange with spiked protrusions that could be considered the horns. The inside of the fruit, on the other hand, is lime green and slimy, with tons of edible seeds. When the fruit is ripe, it explodes in order to release the seeds.

People say that it tastes like a cross between a cucumber and a zucchini when not ripe and as it ripens, tastes closer to a banana. Unlike some other fruits, it can be eaten at both times, and the skin of the fruit can be eaten as well, although that might not be to most people’s fancy. To eat, simply cut the fruit in half and squeeze out the flesh.

This week’s recipe is a delicious vegan cheesecake from Enzed Exotics, who also has numerous other delicious ideas for the use of the fruit, if you’re interested.

Kiwano Vegan Cheesecake

Ingredients

For base:

1 cup of raw almonds

1/4 cup raw coconut shreds

1 Tbsp coconut oil

1-2 Tbsp maple syrup

1 Tsp vanilla extract

For filling:

1 cup of cashews soaked in water overnight then rinsed  and drained

3 dates soaked in water overnight

1 Tbsp coconut oil

Pulp of one Kiwano

1 Tsp nutmeg

Directions

To make the base:
Add all the base ingredients to a food processor and pulse until well incorporated. Spray a loaf pan with coconut oil and press your base down with your fingers. Stick in the freezer for 10 minutes and prep the “cheesecake” filling.

To make “cheesecake” filling:
Add all filling ingredients to a food processor and pulse until you get a creamy filling. Top your base with the filling then store in freezer for another 10 minutes. Top with more Kiwano pulp and enjoy!

4 thoughts on “African Horned Melon

1. I have seen images of this fruit on the internet before but have never known what it was called or what it was like to consume so I am sincerely thankful to have gathered this new information. I’m quite intrigued by the melon’s range and how it can go from tasting like a cucumber/ zucchini to a banana within a matter of weeks, as those flavors don’t seem to blend well together or seem like a rational combination in my head. You said they were able to be found within the United States and that leaves me wondering where? I am so interested in trying this fruit now and potentially creating the recipe that you provided and have to know if they can be found nearby or in conditions closer to more dry, arid regions. Looking forward to your next post!

2. I feel like the name alone is unique and enticing enough that while the pun was greatly missed I was hooked from the start either way. What an interesting fruit! I can say with confidence that I have never heard of this before, but you’ve sold me on it and I will definitely keep my eye out for one! Cannot fathom how slimy seeds can be compared to the taste of a banana, but I do love bananas, so I may just have to see for myself! It is also so interesting how it can start out with a sort of cucumber taste and then evolve into a sweeter fruity taste as it ripens. I think the coolest thing about this fruit though is the fact that it has a long shelf life! That characteristic is extremely uncommon with fruits and produce in general, or I guess it feels that way as a consumer knowing how quickly fruit can over-ripen, rot, or mold. Anyway, another fantastic post! So glad the African Horned melon has been brought to my attention.

3. I’m quickly becoming fascinated by how little I know about the world; fruits are familiar to all of us, but there are so many I had no idea even existed. My first thought when I saw an image of the horned melon was that it could be a great decoration: I can picture painting the tips of the horns sparkling greens and reds and then stringing them up on a Christmas tree. I’m also reminded of the fruits I have at home (my mother and I are big fruit eaters) and how I feel like I’m constantly waiting for every new batch of bananas to turn ripe—just because it’s edible when it isn’t ripe definitely doesn’t mean the taste is worth eating it. Thanks for putting more fruit-flavored knowledge in my life!

4. I am in Alabama and planted some of the seeds from the fruit given me. I just replanted them in my garden (May 13, 2022) along a strong fence in hopes they will grow on it. I’ve been amazed at how many months it took for those given me to turn orange. I made smoothies from mine. Very tasty. Will try eating the whole fruit if mine grow as anticipated.