High Five Series: Final reflections – How will you use what you learned in the future?

During the final reflection session of #AgEd2Malaysia, we captured the responses of all #AgEd2Malaysia participants to five final reflection questions.  This blog post is part of a series to showcase some of the responses to those questions.  The last question prompt was:  

How will you use what you learned in the future?

Freshly painted signs for the newly constructed pollinator garden

“I hope that I can lead others and my students by example in showing acceptance and empathy for cultures different than my own.” – Jeanne, Pennsylvania Agriscience Teacher

“”I’ll use how I learned  to start a conversation with a new person and actually having an engaging conversation when I’m in the same situation or conference where I’ll be meeting someone new.  I’m going to use the teaching techniques, especially how to give direct and clear orders to students when I’m going to do my practical teaching.  I’m also will be more aware about other people thoughts and beliefs when making decision in the future.” – Yazlin, University of Teknologi Malaysia Teacher Candidate

“I plan on sharing this experience with EVERYONE.” – Mikaella, Iowa State Agricultural Teacher Candidate

“The team spirit I learned throughout this program is something I want to carry forward in doing assignments with my friends in UTM.” – Nisah, University of Teknologi Malaysia Teacher Candidate

“As a teacher, I will take extra time to work with ELL students in my classes because I know understand how frustrating it is to have everything translated so I can understand.” – Darla, Pennsylvania Agriscience Teacher

Preparing a visual aid for an aquaponics lesson

“I will use all the knowledge that I gained into my lesson in the future, because the method of lesson for USA and Malaysia is very different.  So, I want to mix and match all the knowledge that I got to makes my lessons more meaningful, good and effective.” – Fatin, University of Teknologi Malaysia Teacher Candidate

“These experiences have pushed me to peel back the layers of who I am and to reflect on my beliefs.  Moving forward, I know that I will be more open-minded and patient with others.  I hope that these behaviors will be reflected by my students.  I am thankful to be more knowledgeable about different cultures & religions.  I am excited to teach my students about global awareness lessons on empathy and also global agriculture.  Overall, I just think that I will be able to provide a positive outlook towards people that are different from me.” – Shelby, Ohio Agriscience Teacher

“I will use it to tell my students to be open minded and accepting all people all over the world to learn something from them.  Join all the programs and take the opportunities.  We all are being human.  The best quote that I will give to my student later on is:  ‘Real experience is the best teacher to us’.” – Syed Huzaimi, University of Teknologi Malaysia Teacher Candidate

Enjoying the cooler temperatures at the Desa Dairy Farm in Sabah

“Everyone is an individual with their own story to be told, you just need to let them tell it.  Continuing forward I believe I can be more inclusive of others as I understand more about the diversity of the world.  I can also relay these priceless experiences and agricultural knowledge to my family, friends, professional contacts, and future students.” – Thomas, Penn State Agricultural Teacher Candidate

“I will ensure that I will practice all the knowledge that I get when I become a teacher someday so that my students will practice it too.” – Nina, University of Teknologi Malaysia Teacher Candidate

“I will use the strategies for reflection and content delivery every day in my own classroom, as they are an aggregation of some of the best ideas that the teachers and facilitators on this trip have to offer.” – Carson, Michigan Agriscience Teacher

“I will ensure that I’m confident when doing something.  Learn from mistakes. Always learn how to improve myself.  Need to communicate in a good way.  Always listen to others opinion (be a good listener).  Work together when in a group.  Listen actively to what leader has to say.” – Ain, University of Teknologi Malaysia Teacher Candidate

“This trip has given me experience in living in a culture that is different from my own.  This would also help me student teaching when trying to include international agriculture in the classroom.” – Manny, Penn State Agricultural Teacher Candidate

The Final Five Blog Post series is curated by
Global Learning Specialist, Dr. Melanie Miller Foster (@GlobalMelanie).
You can reach her at melanie@psu.edu