My Move In Experience

I was one of the first people to arrive at Penn State for the summer session. There was an opportunity to move in early on Saturday, June 25th, so my family and I decided to take that since it would be less stressful, as New Student Orientation started at noon the next day. The first place we had to go was at the Findlay Commons desk to grab my key and temporary ID card, and the entire building seemed like a ghost town. It was a dark and depressing walk across Findlay, and I didn’t see a single person until we reached the desk.

After picking up all the necessary items for move in, we started loading my bags into these large carts, making the entire process much easier. During one of the trips back to the car, we stumbled upon some university police searching the area because the smell of weed filled the air. Was I surprised? Honestly, not really. Early on, we lost electricity because the headlight went out which was unfortunate. My window doesn’t bring in much sunlight to make things worse.

After unpacking for a couple hours, we stopped to eat at Champs Sports Grill, which was recommended by my uncle. For the hype he was giving it, I must say I was a little underwhelmed. That is my honest opinion, but don’t let me sway you away from eating there!

We returned to my dorm to finish setting everything up. It took a total of 5 hours, which I blame my mom for because she was being very particular about where everything should go. I was happy with the way it turned out. I believe I chose the better side of the room, which is one of the perks of arriving first. There isn’t a huge difference between each side, however mine has a strip of a bulletin board which I used to hang a “We Are Penn State” flag.