Paradigm Shift Idea

For the paradigm shift essay, I want to analyze the change in the ways that our modern society watches movies and TV shows. This realm of entertainment has seen multiple eras that were each characterized by a particular dominant medium that underwent its own evolution and modifications. First, it was the cinema. Next, it was television. Now, it is online streaming services such as Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Prime.

These services that dominate our modern forms of entertainment have shaped the industry, first by bringing down movie rental stores like Blockbuster with Red Box, then by growing the popularity of network shows that are available seasons at a time online at all times, then by competing with cable networks for viewership with original series, and now by dominating how millennials watch television.

How we entertain ourselves is reflective of values that we hold as a society. These current services promote a culture of immediacy and instant gratification.

Areas that I intend to focus on in the paper include the impacts that streaming services such as Netflix have made in just a short amount of time, what they say about our current society, reasons for this shift other than advancements in technology, how they have reached so many different demographics especially older generations who normally might oppose these types of changes, how they will continue to grow, and how they may be combatted in the future.

I plan to fill out the PDF for thinking about a paradigm shift to further develop my ideas concretely, but just from looking at the questions, I was able to come up some ideas and directions to take this paper.

Timeline

1878- First motion picture debuts

1894- First commercial exhibition of film

1927- Sound is added to films

1927- Invention of television

1934- First drive in movie

1948- SCOTUS Hollywood Trust Cases

1976- VHS introduced

1995- DVD Player invented

1997- Netflix introduced

2002- Redbox introduced

2013- House of Cards, first Netflix Original, debuts