Passion

Fears Episode 11: Acrophobia

Acrophobia is defined as the extreme or irrational fear of heights. It is therefore defined as irrational. It is one of the most common phobias, affecting up to approximately 10% of the US population. The degree of fear varies and the term phobia is reserved for those at the extreme end of the spectrum. Many people also confuse Vertigo with the fear of heights, which is more accurately defined as a spinning sensation when one is not actually spinning. Although it can be triggered by Acrophobia, the terms should not be used interchangeably. Possible signs and symptoms of Acrophobia include a panic attack in high places, breathlessness, dizziness, excessive sweating, nausea, dry mouth, feeling sick, shaking, heart palpitations, and the inability to speak or think clearly. Other side effects of Acrophobia may also include a fear of dying, becoming mad or losing control, a sensation of detachment from reality or even a full blown anxiety attack. Possible causes of Acrophobia may include a traumatic experience involving heights. However, the fear of falling is one of the most commonly suggested inborn fears. It has also been similarly theorized that the fear of heights is an evolved adaptation to a world where falls posed a significant danger.  Researchers have argued that fear of heights is an instinct found in many mammals, including domestic animals and humans. However, it should be noted that while an innate cautiousness around heights is helpful for survival, an extreme fear can interfere with the activities of everyday life, such as standing on a ladder or chair, or even walking up a flight of stairs. A more biologically-based cause is found in a person’s struggle with maintaining balance as height increases and the images sent to the brain cause dysfunction in equilibrium. Feasible treatments for Acrophobia include but are not limited to drugs such as traditional anti-anxiety drugs such as benzodiazepines, newer options such as antidepressants and beta-blockers, hypnosis, positive thinking, gradual desensitization, and even possible virtual reality.

Fun Fact: In the general population, twice as many women as men are affected by Acrophobia.

untitled (5)

One thought on “Fears Episode 11: Acrophobia

1. Emma Behr

Oh Aneri, the picture you included made my heart beat fast! Acrophobia (I’m glad to learn its real name finally!) is my biggest and most imposing fear. It inconveniences everything in my life. I am no fun to go to the amusement park with, I am no fun to ski with, and it’s a wonder that I enjoy equestrian jumping. It’s too bad my quote isn’t in it! Maybe you can quote me from this comment and insert it. I always love reading your posts because they combine amusement with fascinating facts. Thank you for that! As for the structure of your post, I think it would be good if you would break up your block of text with some paragraph breaks. Also, maybe you could elaborate a bit more on the topic by including celebrities and public figures who suffer from acrophobia, maybe the origins of the word, maybe even a more in-depth personal account from whomever you interview. Just food for thought! 🙂