Imagine sitting in a restaurant, wondering if the meal you ordered may make you violently ill for several weeks. This is how it feels to dine as a gluten-free eater.

I have celiac disease, which means I am not able to digest gluten. The small intestine is paralyzed byDo you have symptoms of gluten allergy? Take this quiz to find out | HealthShots gluten entering the system, triggering an autoimmune response. Gluten is a protein found in wheat, barley, and rye, used in breads and cakes, or as a thickening agent in sauces and soups. Gluten is hidden everywhere, which makes dining difficult for us celiacs.

For people like myself with celiac disease, eating a meal cooked by someone other than yourself is quite the ordeal. This means extensively googling every menu and closely watching what ingredients are being used. There is a constant fear of cross-contamination, meaning gluten-containing ingredients can be spread to my supposedly gluten-free meal by a shared fryer or a dirty spoon. This has become especially difficult to monitor in Penn State dining halls, but my safest, go-to option is Choolaah Indian BBQ located in Redifer Dining Commons.

Choolaah Indian BBQ station at Redifer

Choolaah’s menu is almost exclusively gluten-free. As soon as you enter the line to order your meal, the allergens are clearly listed. All elements of their main bowls are gluten-free, regardless of what sauce or protein, the rice, masala, daal, and chicken are all certified safe for celiacs. This makes the selection process extremely simple and puts the gluten-free eater at ease. However, the menu is quite limited, but this is the case for all consumers and it is not surprising for a quicker dining option.

Although their samosas and veggie croquettes both contain wheat, potential for cross-contamination is low. These options are located at the very end of the dining line in a different heater than the rest of the food. This separation makes Choolaah’s dining even safer for celiacs.

In addition to this safe menu, gluten-free people can feel confident in their decision to dine at Choolaah because of their open design. If there is any further concern of cross-contamination, the kitchen is visible and the food preparation is entirely exposed.

All precautionary measures have been taken by Choolaah to best serve students with celiac disease who are dining in Redifer Commons. For their commitment to safe, gluten-free dining, I award Choolaah a 5 star GF rating.

Celiac Disease

Storefront image

Bread image

Menu