Staying Fresh at Fresco

It’s late in the evening and I’ve just been released from softball practice. I wander through the East Halls, unfamiliar with the terrain as a South Halls dweller. I crave a gluten-free dinner, perhaps a burrito bowl, but the HUB’s Blue Burrito is closed and the downtown Chipotle is too much of a schlep. Located in the East Food District of Findlay Commons is a beacon of hope: Fresco.

Change for the Better: Penn State's Findlay Commons wins award for innovative renovations | University Park Campus News | psucollegian.comWalking Tacos - Amanda's Cookin' - Apps & Finger Foods

Fresco is a deliciously convenient dining option with an efficient design and friendly staff. Diners form a line and begin by selecting their base. They can choose between a burrito bowl style meal, versus a “walking taco,” which describes when taco toppings are mixed into a crushed bag of tortilla chips. Customers then proceed to add toppings, from fajita vegetables, to guacamole, and the classic lettuce or cheese. These options can be prepared for dining in, or for on-the-go.

Allergies & Special Diets | LiveOnThe most crucial element of dining as someone with celiac disease is transparency. There is the constant fear of a sneaky bit of gluten contaminating a meal and making me sick for weeks or months to follow. In order to avoid this and put my mind at ease, being explicitly clear about ingredients and potential allergens is critical. In most Penn State dining facilities, allergens are clearly labeled on each food item, or are at least accessible to view via an online menu. However, in the case of Fresco, ingredients are a mystery. There are no labels on-site, on their website, or on the Penn State Go app. On the weekly menu that is released, the only information about Fresco is: “CYO Burrito Bowl” and “CYO Walking Taco.” No mention of specific items, ingredients, or preparation of foods. This is concerning for any customer who wants to be aware of what they are eating, but it especially frustrating for students with dietary restrictions.

Corn Tomato Avocado Salad with Cucumbers - SkinnytasteAlthough Fresco is lacking in their allergen transparency, their ingredients are highly clean. Their toppings are as you view them in front of you in the buffet–shredded lettuce, tomatoes, corn, and other easily identifiable examples. No allergens in sight, except when considering the meats. Often, gluten is used to thicken beef recipes, or the chicken at Fresco had a suspicious sauce that piqued my gluten-sensor. I was wary of the proteins, but when I asked the employee if there was allergen information about gluten or wheat, he disappeared to the kitchen, spoke with the chef, and reported back that all ingredients used at Fresco are gluten-free!

As a gluten-free diner, these willing efforts by employees to confirm my safety is a game-changer. After considering the fully gluten-free menu, but lack of transparency with ingredients, I award Fresco a 4.5 star GF rating.

Allergen image

Doritos image

Findlay image

Ingredients image

« »