Hello College

As I enter my freshman year, roughly seven weeks prior to my hometown friends, it was easier to get accustomed to the college lifestyle than I originally thought. Growing up in Pittsburgh, I was constantly surrounded by big buildings and diverse culture. Penn State is not that much different from Pittsburgh, they both have large buildings such as Old Main and The HUB, which are notoriously comparable to the Point and South Side in Pittsburgh. Penn State houses Beaver Stadium, which holds approximately 42,000 more people than Heinz Field, and bears the record for the second largest stadium in the Western Hemisphere. After being an official college student for just over a week, it still feels surreal. I no longer drive to “Giant Eagle” for a pint of chocolate milk, but rather must walk down to McLanahan’s for chargers and food I left in Pittsburgh. Having a car at my disposal is one thing I most definitely took for granted because I never knew what it was like to have to walk everywhere. I am now more conscious of the weather outside and know to bring an umbrella for the unpredictable 16802 weather. The main difference I have noticed is that in college no one tells you that you need to do anything. Our futures are our responsibility and the path we choose from here is entirely comprised of our own decisions. I can say I am excited to be here in State College for the summer and even more eager for the fall to start. I don’t necessarily miss the Pittsburgh landmarks I’ve grown up with because I know they will never be more than 144 miles away from me.

3 thoughts on “Hello College

1. This is very true. I’m sure all of this can connect to your post in one way or another. Especially the weather! The idea of bringing an umbrella with me wherever I go has never crossed my mind as much as it does now.

2. I agree with Jess, and I feel like it is very relatable to people from Pittsburgh, such as myself.

3. This post is very well written, and relatable to all of us starting out. Good job on the blog post.