Lily Akhtar

Lion Ambassadors Seeking New Applicants

PresentationProspective ApplicantsFree Pizza

https://youtu.be/iuyyw1LraAg

Lily Akhtar and Donovin Lindsay, respectively the president and the faculty advisor of the Lion Ambassador program at Penn State Altoona, sat down with The Collegiate Review on Tuesday to discuss their current recruitment for new ambassadors.

The Lion Ambassador program works with the admissions department to promote Penn State and foster lasting relationships with prospective students. The ambassadors give campus tours to not only prospective students, but to alumni, visitors, and incoming faculty, as well. The program arranges a variety of events around campus to promote school pride and student morale. The ambassadors also give back to the Altoona area with hours of community service.

The program normally recruits student ambassadors each fall semester. In recent years, they have opened applications in the spring semester, as well. There are currently 45 Lion Ambassadors, which is historically a small group for the program which frequently enjoys membership upwards of 80 students. But they don’t accept every applicant. Last semester, the executive board accepted only thirty percent of those that applied.

“I will always be an advocate for the quality of a member, rather than the quantity of the membership,” Lindsay said.

For the first time, the application is completely online. Once submitted, an application is reviewed by Lindsay and Akhtar for basic compliance with membership standards, such as a 2.25 GPA, before being given to their executive board, which acts as the selection committee for new ambassadors. The selection committee reviews the applicant’s responses and decides if they want to move further with each, bringing those students in for interviews with the executive board.

As a Lion Ambassador, you gain confidence, leadership and communication skills, and lasting friendships. The program is also something one might consider adding to their resume. Lindsay attributes his shift away from being a shy student to his time as an ambassador: “It strengthened my communication skills. It strengthened my leadership skills and presentation skills. Now I’m the Assistant Director of Admissions and I do presentations on campus and in different states. I tell people all the time, I wouldn’t be here in front of you – I wouldn’t have gotten all the skills that I have now – if I wasn’t a part of the Lion Ambassadors as a student.”

Those who have energy to spare, an enthusiasm for Penn State, and want to share their stories with prospective students while helping our campus and community, consider applying to be a Lion Ambassador here. Applications close Friday, Jan. 26 at 5 p.m.