Aspects of becoming an resident attdendent

By Milan Ramson

Interpersonal communication is a fancier way of performing skills that help others reach their highest potential. Noah Kingler, a sophomore at Penn State Altoona, recently went through a  transformation that taught him the basics of understanding other perceptions and concerns.While finishing up his freshman year, Kingler took matters into his own hands that helps him earn money for college, experience real work experience, and have a unforgettable leadership role on campus.

Klingler’s transformation began his second semester of freshman year. He went through the training process of becoming an resident assistant (RA). He first sat in on a meeting, he took a three credit course that helped him develop the necessary skills to communicate effectively and affectively, and he tested out that course and become a R.A in Oak Hall.

“The best thing to do is to get involved,” Kingler said. He evaluated himself in a short time frame and decided that he wanted to aim for success using a different mechanism.

“I witnessed people not being involved and that what really urged me to be a leader in my community,”he said.

He wants to make Penn State Altoona the starting ground for new and former students. He did this by following through on the process that it took to become R.A and kept his discipline and now is earning money for college and maintaining great grades. For example, after not doing so well in classes first semester Freshman year Kingler has devotes more time and efforts into his academic work. Which leaves him with obtaining A’s and B’s, for which he states, “our grades as an (RA) is the most important.

Although he misses the freedom from freshman year, he said, “Personally, I have been able to grow into a better person, my grades are so much better, and R.A. job corresponds with what I want to do in life for my future career.”

He is happy with the decisions he has made as a young man moving forward. The R.A. job has helped him to mature and has helped him find a better version of himself. Being able to take himself out of his own body and look at the person he was before and comparing it to this new version, he and others on campus are impressed.

Being a model for people, whether it is two or five people, it is a great feeling and one that many should be proud to have. Leadership qualities doesn’t come natural for people, but is something that is practiced and rediscovered. For Kingler, walking into this position with no work experience and no self representation, has helped him make a great contribution to the Altoona campus.