AMCC Athlete of the Week: Jessica Stevens

Pictured above: Jessica Stevens.

AN INTERVIEW WITH JESSICA STEVENS, AMCC ATHLETE OF THE WEEK

Jessica Stevens, a freshman studying nursing, was named the AMCC Women’s Tennis Athlete of the Week for Oct. 1-7. Stevens also broke a school record this weekend for the women’s tennis program. She set a new single-season record for the most wins in singles with 12. Collegiate Review Staff Writer Sierra Snigier had the opportunity to interview this inspiring student-athlete.

Jessica Stevens, interviewed by Sierra Snigier

Q: How long have you been playing tennis?

A: I’ve been playing tennis since 8th grade.

Q: Do you play any other sports? Is tennis your favorite?

A: I also play basketball for Penn State University, Altoona Campus, but I like tennis more.

Q: What is your major? What made you decide to attend PSUA?

A: My major is nursing and I decided to come to Altoona because it’s close to home and they have a great nursing program with a good reputation.

Q: Are there any other clubs you are involved in?

A: I am involved with the Student Athletic Advisory Council.

Q: What was your favorite part of the tennis season?

A: My favorite part of the tennis season was getting to know all of my teammates and going to great restaurants.

Q: How does breaking a school record make you feel? Did you imagine you would break it as a first-year student?

A: Breaking the school record as a freshman to me is mind-blowing. I never thought I would’ve broken a record my first year, but I work hard in the offseason to get myself better and to the next level.

Q: Are there any special good-luck rituals you do before the matches?

A: Before matches, I don’t really have any special luck rituals. I just go out and play my game.

Q: Which do you prefer, singles or doubles?

A: I prefer singles because that is all I played in high school, so I have more experience in it. Although I do like doubles and the teamwork it takes to win.

Q: Any advice for aspiring athletes?

A: For aspiring athletes, my advice is to never give up and always set goals. Keep working toward your goal and don’t stop until you achieve them.

Q: What were some of your high school accomplishments?

A: I was a two-time District 6 AAA girls tennis singles champion and two-time state quarterfinalist for Pennsylvania. I also was a two-time Altoona Mirror Athlete of the Week for tennis.

Q: If you could play against any tennis superstar, who would it be?

A: Serena Williams.