AN INTERVIEW WITH ALANA MASULLO, AMCC ATHLETE OF THE WEEK

Alana Masullo, a freshman studying psychology, was named the AMCC Women’s Soccer Defensive Athlete of the Week for Oct. 22-28. Collegiate Review Staff Writer Sierra Snigier had the opportunity to interview this inspiring student-athlete.

Alana Masullo, interviewed by Sierra Snigier.

Q: How long have you been playing soccer?

A: I have played soccer for 14 years now.

Q: Do you play multiple positions? This week you received the award for defense. Which do you prefer?

A: My main position lies within the defense whether it is outside or center back, but I can also play in the midfield. I don’t have much of a preference as to where I play. I just enjoy being able to play soccer no matter what.

Q: Do you play any other sports? If so, is soccer your favorite?

A: Soccer has always been my main sport. In high school I made the decision to focus on soccer.

Q: What is your major? What made you decide to attend PSUA?

A: I am majoring in psychology. I chose to attend PSUA because I love the campus and the location of it. It’s such a warm environment and a beautiful campus. I also wanted the opportunity to continue my soccer career so this was the perfect fit for me.

Q: Are you involved in any organizations on campus?

A: As of right now I’m not involved in any organizations on campus.

Q: What was your favorite part of the soccer season?

A: My favorite part of the soccer season is the friends that I make. By the end of the season we are all pretty much family and I couldn’t be more thankful for them. They make everything worth it.

Q: Your freshman season has come to an end. How do you feel?

A: It was a great first season! The girls were great and we have a lot of potential to go even farther next year. I’m proud of the team and what we have accomplished! I’m excited to take this season and grow even more from it so we can come out even better next year!

Q: Do you have a soccer icon that has influenced you?

A: I have always admired Ali Krieger, a player for the NWSL team Orlando Pride, the United States Women’s National Team (USWNT), and a former player for Penn State. I have tried to incorporate her style of play into mine after watching USWNT games to become a better defender.

Q: If you could play against one professional soccer team, who would it be?  

A: I would probably choose to play against Orlando Pride because they are my favorite team.

Q: Any advice to aspiring athletes?

A: My advice to aspiring athletes is that you are your biggest competition. If every day you strive to be better than the last, you can achieve anything. It’s not always about winning, but learning and becoming better every day.