Trust in the process

By Milan Ramson

Do not waste time not knowing the ropes of college. Get involved and ask questions. Advocates circulate around campus daily who have the ability to share information that could shape your college experience into a more positive one. On Dec. 3, 2018. three senior students disclosed memories, moments, and experiences to connect with current student body. They hope in sharing   their experiences they will encourage other students who are also striving to graduate. Using their abilities, they promote growth that stirs students in the right direction.

Julia McAloon, Communications major at Penn State Altoona, from Bethlehem Pennsylvania emphasized organization. McAloon states, “Organize, organize, organize. I can’t mention that enough. I literally chunk out my days in times with exactly what I am doing on Sunday. That way I know what I am doing the rest of the week. I know what test I have and what meetings I have.” Keeping yourself organized helps a person stay true to him or her self and offers structure to a person’s routine.  

McAloon, believes, “ Still trying to figure it out is the key to it all. Just knowing what really works best over time puts a person in a better circumstance.” Being organized and trying tactics is her duty as a student. Learning to become familiar with the campus and with herself raises attention to other students on campus as well.    

Danesha Lee, a Psychology major from Philadelphia, introduces tactics that she found hard to come by but ultimately benefited her. “Don’t just listen to one person. That’s one thing I had to learn. You can’t just focus and limit yourself on advice from one person, you have to go out and talk to multiple people to make better and more informed decisions.” Getting more involved and out of her comfort zone Lee found resources that helps her get to her  final stage of college and employs self- insurance.  

Lee later states, “College is not meant to be a wolf pack. You are a lone shark in this world. Putting time and effort into getting here. You’re the one that put your blood, sweat, and tears every night crying to finish a papers.” Being mindful of her short term goal she leaves the conversation speaking about isolation. With isolation she saw her grades improving and her growth as a leader becoming prominent.

Keiyana Christie, a Psychology major from the Bronx uses “FOMO” (fear of missing out) as an motto on how students get off track. She agrees with both McAloon and Lee about decision making. Keeping up with going to classes and opportunities is  the best way to go about your journey. Being grounded and becoming wise is a method that should stick with students on campus. 

Being in college presents all students with multiple resources.  Utilizing resources and adding them to one’s character is a trend that has helped these three seniors progress over time. Danisha says, “Never be afraid to go through college with a different outcome ; just trust in the process and make it work.” Christie states, “Never think you’re too good for any help” and McAloon closed the discussion by stating, “The best piece of advice that I learned is that it doesn’t matter the way you take to your goals as long as get there.” Using Penn State Altoona as a stepping stone these students give examples of a ongoing working process.