PSU Altoona bowling competes through difficulty

Due to the ongoing and yearlong Coronavirus pandemic many athletic teams and players experienced cancellations and shortening of fall, winter, and spring seasons. 

The month of February became a center for the return of various athletic seasons for many of Penn State Altoona’s athletic programs. One program that made their return to playing at the intercollegiate level was PSU Altoona’s bowling program.

For the Lady Lions, a season was in sight starting February 20th in the first AMCC round robin series against Mount Aloysius, La Roche and New Jersey City University. 

The first AMCC round robin series matchup showcased a 1-2 record for the Lady Lions at the beginning of the season. 

Senior Alyssa Bender believes the team has improved even with a 1-2 record early on. 

“We are each improving individually as well as the team. We are building strong relationships and working well together,” Bender said.

Although the team was improving the Lady Lions recently finished their season in the second AMCC round robin series with 1 win and 2 losses on March 6. This brought the Lady Lions record to 2-4 on the season. 

This season, the Lady Lions had 5 members on the team which was simply less than seasons past.

“We typically have 8 bowlers, but due to covid-19, we lost a few members for this year. We just signed a new prospect so our roster should increase. It’s definitely a challenge because when you have one bad game, there’s no one to take your place, so it really keeps you on your toes. Everyone has to carry their own weight so we can be the best we can possibly be,” Freshman student and athlete Chloe Mazza said.

“In the time that I have been on the team we have had between 5 and 7 bowlers. Comparing our numbers with competitors we are a little low in numbers this year. To be able to compete a team has to have a minimum of 5 members. You need at least 5 members because there are two types of matches you can compete in, Traditional or Baker. Traditional is when 5 players bowl their own game. Baker style is one game but each member plays 2 frames,” Bender said.

Both Bender and Mazza believe Covid-19 has impacted the team personally. 

“Covid-19 hit my family pretty hard. I lost my grandma in December during finals so I really had to keep myself together to make her proud one last time! Successfully so, I made the dean’s list in the first semester. The season has been a lot shorter than expected, but that doesn’t stop the team from bonding and building chemistry. Bowling with the masks is easier than expected, but will be grateful for the day when we don’t have to wear them anymore,” Mazza said. 

“Covid-19 has limited my team and I from competing in many matches. It has not been an ideal senior year for me, but at least our team was able to participate in 1 home and 1 away match. When competing we and other teams are required to wear masks and maintain distance. Since it’s not a contact sport we are still able to practice and compete with the entire team,” Bender said.

Mazza acquired an interest in bowling at a young age and enjoys the competition aspect of bowling. She believes it’s an individual sport while being a team sport as well. 

March 6th matchup marked the Lady Lions annual senior day which recognized Bender, the team’s lone senior. 

Bender acquired an interest in bowling through her boss who happens to also be the team’s head coach. 

“My boss, John Carey, also the coach of the bowling team, approached me one day at work asking if I would be interested in joining the team. He knew I wanted to get more involved on campus and thought I would enjoy bowling. I ended up joining the team hoping and realizing how fun it is,” Bender said.  

Students who are interested in joining the Lady Lions bowling team can contact head coach John Carey. 

“For students who are interested in joining the team they can contact John Carey at the beginning of the fall semester. Coach Carey does recruit and does have some students in line for the future. You don’t need to own any supplies, as the coaching staff does their best to accommodate everyone’s needs,” Bender said.