Men’s Golfer Breaks Second School Record of the Season with AMCC Championship Right Around the Corner

Nick Graziano    Staff Writer 

A match at Sinking Valley, the home course to the Altoona Lions, is where the new school record is held as Trey Heffelfinger shot a low 67. This marks the second time this year a Penn State Altoona golfer has broken the school record leaving high expectations for what the end of the season can turn out to be. 

On September 24th Penn State Altoona hosts a match at Sinking Valley against Juniata College where the Lions defeated Juniata 303-330. Trey Heffelfinger came out very confident and led the team to a match victory that afternoon with a school record. 

“The swing felt good that day, going into the round I felt like I was going to shoot low because I came off a great week of practice and the things I was working on seemed to come together all at once,” says Heffelfinger. 

Having plenty of experience on this course, Heffelfinger was oozing confidence off the first tee, and from there on his momentum kept building. 

“My swing just felt great that day, my tee shots were straight and placed exactly where I wanted them, and my approach shots were extremely close to the pin which helped me out. My putting seemed to be the weakest part of my game this year so having the ability to attack the pin that aggressively really helped me make the birdies,” stated Heffelfinger. 

On the back nine, the same play was produced out of Heffelfinger, and his putter also came around as he started to drain important putts to help his round. A par on the last hole led him to shoot a 67, the new school record. 

The record holder, who was AMCC Golfer of the Week back in the beginning of the season, is very excited for conferences coming up next week where he thinks the team has a chance to win and move on to nationals. 

Regarding preparation for next week, Heffelfinger believes that the team has done some extraordinary things this season which only helps the player’s confidence as they prepare for hopefully their best tournament of the season.  

When asked about how the team is preparing for next week’s championship Heffelfinger says, “Seeing the team be successful throughout the season gets me excited for conferences, I believe that the right mental prep and some solid rest before the next week’s tournament will help us achieve what we are all trying to do, take home the win.” 

The team travels to Butler Country Club on Sunday where they will compete against the conference for the AMCC Championship Title.