Cool Room!

A look into Penn State Altoona’s Dorm and Apartment decorations.

By Rivka Wolin         Staff Writer

You may have seen an email come out a couple of times saying that the Altoona Collegiate Review was putting together a story about Dorm Decorations. Well, the wait is over! We have opened this story up to a lot more than just dorm rooms! We are now including apartment decor so those who live off campus can now get featured here!

Two weeks ago I reached out to three students that responded to our email to schedule interviews. Only one person got back to me about this story, I assume that the other candidates were busy with exams and other activities. I wish them the best of luck!

Ironically, I met Billy the night before I was scheduled to interview him. I attended a Ladies of Light event that included a lot more than just the ladies. I was invited by one of my friends Clarissa who is a member. We met towards the end of the event, so we didn’t have a long interaction. The following day I was running a tad late for my interview because I had lost track of time doing homework. I asked Billy what residence hall he was in and when he responded he lived at Nittany Point I grabbed two of my friends Sam and Isaac to come with me for the ride.

I was nervous about this interview this was my first time conducting one. The biggest question I had for Billy on the ride up to the Point was “Why did you apply to do this interview if you live off campus?”

Billy gave me quite a good response, “I think I have a really cool room and I saw people were showing off decorations. Since I am not from here and I think I have a really nice room I emailed them back.”

I learned that Billy is majoring in Electro-Mechanical Engineering and is from Songtan, South Korea. I asked him what he missed most about home. He told me he missed the food. Which I get nothing beats mom’s cooking or the local shops that you grew up eating.

When I entered the room, I was surprised at how nice it was set up. His room was a cozy size, perfect for chilling out after a long day of school. Billy left his tea on the desk when he went to get Sam, Isaac, and me . I asked if I could get a picture of him relaxing at his desk with his tea in hand.

“Everything in my room has meaning,” Billy told me.

The cards on the wall next to his are from his family back at home. He said most of them are wishing him well and good luck in college.

The car poster next to the cards has an interesting story. Growing up Billy had imagined America in a way that is more “like the 1950’s with the cars and diners.” When him and his dad came over here his dad commented on how this was not the America he once knew. His dad lived here at one point so Billy’s sense of America came from his dad’s experiences. I could see Billy getting one of those old cars. Most likely from the 1950s or 1960s. I personally like the 1964 Lincoln Continental; the shape is nothing like we have driving around commonly today.

The lotus flower and chakra tapestries Billy told me remind him of his mom. “My mom, she is from Thailand, and she is Buddhist,” he said. He didn’t tell me what practice of Buddhism she does but according to the Britannica Encyclopedia in Tantric Buddhism charkas are the energy centers of the body. According to Binghamton University’s Institute for Asian and Asian Diasporas, the lotus flower in Buddhism is a symbol of fortune. Lotus flower rises and blooms from the murky water. Similar to how a Buddhist rises from the mud to achieve enlightenment.

When I asked Billy about his Mount Fuji poster, he told me “I have a  lot of Asian ancestry. And I have found that Asian countries seem to be more cozy.”

With that, we are on our last few items in the room. Billy said, “The Poster behind my bed is just cool!”

Not a lot of meaning in that poster. I asked Billy about the t-shirt and other poster (I forgot to get a picture of) they both had Bucket Head on them. Billy gave me a pretty solid answer “ I love his music.”

With all of that I thought it was time to head back. We made our way back to Billy’s car and down the hill to Penn State Altoona. I thanked Billy for the ride and the opportunity to do this interview and we went on our merry ways.

Do you think you have a Cool Room? Don’t be afraid to shoot me an email at rbw5411@psu.edu or Direct Message the Collegiate Review Altoona on Instagram! I would love to see how creative you can get with your dorm and apartment decorating!