Why is “She-Hulk: Attorney at Law” getting so much hate?

By Destiny Montgomery

Staff Writer

With Marvel Studios’ newest Disney+ exclusive series “She-Hulk: Attorney at Law” being six out of nine episodes in, it is not getting as much love as some of the other shows have. While the series holds a solid 87% critic rating on Rotten Tomatoes, it holds a 37% audience score, making it the one of the lowest rated out of all the Marvel series. On IMDb, with 104,000 votes, there is an average rating of 5/10. It seems that when it comes to this series, people either love it or hate it. 

The series is centered around Bruce Banner, AKA the Hulk (played by Mark Ruffalo) infecting his cousin, Jennifer Walters (played by Tatiana Maslany) and turning her into She-Hulk. She then must learn how to balance her life as a lawyer and She-Hulk. 

Many Marvel fans are struggling with the comedic aspects of the series. One IMDb user writes “The parts where Jen is actually trying to be a lawyer for superheroes or talking in a court scene are the funniest, but in too many other areas it tries too hard to be funny… which is rough because this is supposed to be a comedy.” 

Other fans are not happy with the lack of character development that She-Hulk deserves. Another IMDb user wrote “There was no effort made at all towards character development in the first episode which looks like a poorly crafted music video from the 90s.” 

In each episode, Jennifer breaks the fourth wall, but sometimes seems to be out of place. A Rotten Tomatoes user explains “These people complaining about the fourth wall breaking and ‘silly’ humor of She-Hulk don’t understand that was the whole point of the comic book!” Another controversial topic is CGI. Many fans argue that the CGI should be better, with it being 2022, and seeing how good the CGI was in other projects. 

On the other hand, fans are enjoying the lighthearted tone of the series, being bored with the large amount of origin stories. Some claim that the people who are hating on this show are just sexist, as “Ms. Marvel” also got hate from certain fans. Many of the fans that are enjoying the show claim that they love it because they “truly understand” the 1980s comics.  

One particular scene that got many fans in a craze was the post-credit scene in episode three. In that episode, Megan Thee Stallion was a topic in a court case. In that post-credit scene, she and She-Hulk were seen dancing and twerking in her office. Personally, I thought the scene was funny! Other MCU (Marvel Cinematic Universe) actors have danced in their movies, so I did not see why this was a big deal. 

For me, I do not hate the show, although it is not my favorite. I was considering more fight scenes, considering she is a Hulk; however, I love seeing Jen find herself as a Hulk. I am personally extremely excited to see Matt Murdock in the upcoming episodes because he is one of my favorite characters.