January 8, 2020

Penn State Altoona Staff Advisory Council

Wednesday, January 8, 2020   |   122B Slep   |   10:00 a.m.

MINUTES

Present: June Aiken, Veronica Barstow, Toni Feret, Debbie Flaig, Angel Goldian, Jennifer Sabourin

Guests: Drew McGhee, Nicole McCloskey

Absent: Jerry Benito Jeff Covino, Donovin Lindsay, David McGreal, Ginny Norris, Russell Pentland

Call to order: The meeting was called to order by Chair, Jennifer Sabourin, at 10:05 a.m.

Meeting Minutes approved:  The November meeting minutes were approved by the committee.

OLD BUSINESS

N/A

NEW BUSINESS

1. All Staff Retreat: June Aiken announced that the committee was still in the planning phase of the retreat and no definitive details are available to share currently.        
  2. Salute a Champion: We have not received any Salute a Champion nominees. Jennifer will send out another request for November, December and January nominations so awards may be distributed in February.
  3. Staff Advisory Council Officer Elections: We are making our way around again to the yearly Staff Advisory Council elections for the new fiscal year term.  Upon request, Cherrie Henry will provide a list of all eligible staff to the chair of the Staff Advisory Committee. A ballot will be sent for staff nominations in March to fill empty seats for the new term.                       

STAFF CONCERNS/REPORTS

Concern #1 (submitted Dec. 4th): I could not find a specific policy regarding soliciting for departmental group collection of money for gift(s) to individuals in a department, but I think this activity should be highly discouraged. I feel like every time I turn around there’s a new e-mail asking me to donate within varying monetary ranges toward a gift, and that there’s already been a card purchased for everyone to sign. “So and so is having a baby”, “Let’s get our supervisor a Christmas gift”, “So and so took a job elsewhere, let’s send them off with a gift”. Nonsense.

It creates an awkward situation for those folks who either can’t afford to give the money right and left or just choose not to. We (as a University) barely even place any kind of incentives on a job well done or offer performance based rewards against measurable metrics. The “awards” that are given each year to staff are basically a popularity contest.

I respect and appreciate many people around campus for the work they do, and I personally choose to give those folks a little something on my own when a time for sympathy, appreciation or achievement comes around.

Responses:

• In agreeance with the response from Finance and Business Operations and Human Resources, the Staff Advisory Committee feels that is should be up to the discretion of each individual department to choose whether they hold group activities and contribute to shared purchases for others. Coworkers should respect the choices of those within the department who choose not to participate or contribute in their own way.
  • Any staff member who has concerns about activities within their own department should speak directly to their supervisor to address these concerns.

ANNOUNCEMENTS

Next Meeting Date: Wednesday, March 4, 2020, 202 LRC at 10:00 a.m.

**We have 6 open seats on the committee for FY 20/21.

Bookmark the permalink.