Dream #19: Ecopunk

Hi dreamers! This is it! The final blog post of the year! It’s been a busy year, but strange dreams have carried us through it all. For the final In Your Dreams analysis, we will be analyzing my verdant dream from a few nights ago.

Onto the dream!

Siberian Squills

Ecopunk 

On a sunny, breezy day, I ask a patch of Siberian Squills, the small blue flower, “Do you feel my breath?”

The Squills begin to grow, writhing like worms in soil. They speak, “We hear you. You do not hear us.”

Confused, I say, “I can hear you.”

They grow larger now, their petals unfurling like ribbons and their stems becoming thick like dogwood trees.

“Good fertilizer,” I say.

The Squills’ roots come up out of the ground and they step onto the soil. “Nitrous oxide. Methane. Carbon dioxide,” they spit at me. “Man becoming machine. Oil pumping into the ecosystem.”

I back up. The Squills grow larger and larger. Their pistils grow snapping teeth. I turn to run and find that my legs have become steel, immovable and rusted.

The Squills advance, and pull me with their leafy fingers to face the sky, which is thick with smog.

“See?” They say. “See?”

This is where the dream ends.

The Analysis 

In this nightmare, I find myself face to face with ever-growing Siberian Squills that want to show me the realities of environmental destruction and climate change. The Squills are disgusted by humanity’s recklessness.

This nightmare is horrifying for three primary reasons:

Penny Hardy sculpture

1) There is body horror. My legs transform into metal, rusted metal at that, and I am unable to run away from the Siberian Squills. This transformation alludes to the fact that man relies heavily on machinery and unnatural objects to function, so much so that, according to the Squills, man may as well be a group of machines or robots. It is unclear whether the Squills are responsible for transforming my legs into metal in the dream, but some force was holding myself and the rest of humanity accountable for our actions that have been rooted in materialism and inorganic material.

2) An object which is not supposed to have human qualities becomes humanlike in nature and uses those humanlike qualities to chase me and, eventually, force me into facing a reality I don’t want to face. The animation of the Squills is a surreal method of the unconscious anthropomorphizing nature, which has been harmed by humanity. The Squills become a kind of phantasm, haunting me until I acknowledge the nature of the environmental crisis. The Squills act as an inescapable omen, an assurance that yes, this is real, and yes, you must do something about it.

Rising sea levels illustrated in an NBC News article

3) Most importantly, the dream unveils the reality of climate change and environmental destruction, the reality dream-me didn’t want to face, and speaks to my (waking me’s) unconscious anxieties about the subject. The Squills refer to “oil”—something that wreaks havoc on ecosystems—and “Nitrous oxide. Methane. Carbon dioxide,” three greenhouse gases that are contributing to climate change. This nightmare brought to light the fear I am feeling about my own future, my generation’s future, and my younger siblings’ futures, and the guilt I feel about being a part of humanity when we have caused so much destruction.

This dream serves as a welcome reminder that there are actions to be taken to combat climate change, even beyond reducing, reusing, and recycling. One can always speak out to local representatives to ensure they are making environmentally friendly decisions. Here is a BBC article about ten ways to help fight climate change. One noteworthy fact from the article that I would like to highlight is that “If cattle were their own nation, they would be the world’s third largest emitter of greenhouse gases, after China and the US.” Changing one’s diet is a deeply personal decision, but if anyone has any questions about cutting out red meat or going pescatarian or plant-based, leave a comment!

Overall, this dream about Siberian Squills becoming animated and angry with humanity revealed deeper lessons about about climate change and environmental destruction. Stay loose and dream lucid!

Dream #18: (Nice Dream) by Radiohead

Hello dreamers! This week we are going to be analyzing a dream in a song from one of my favorite bands, Radiohead. Thom Yorke is Radiohead’s vocalist, so he is who I will be naming in the analysis. The Bends is one of Radiohead’s earlier albums, and it’s worth listening to in full. I recommend listening to High and Dry and The Bends, songs on that album.

Onto the dream!

(Nice Dream) by Radiohead 

They love me like I was a brother
They protect me, listen to me
They dug me my very own garden
Gave me sunshine, made me happy

Nice dream
Nice dream
Nice dream

I call up my friend, the good angel
But she’s out with her answerphone
She said that she’d love to come help, but
The sea would electrocute us all

Nice dream
Nice dream
Nice dream
Nice dream
Nice dream
Nice dream
Nice dream (If you think that you’re strong enough)
Nice dream (If you think you belong enough)
Nice dream (If you think you belong enough)

[guitar solo]

Nice dream
Nice dream
Nice dream
Nice dream

The Analysis 

Thom Yorke performing

(Nice Dream) tells a story of a fantasy that the narrator is living in, one where they are loved and nurtured by the people around them. The narrator does not want to snap out of this fantasy, instead favoring the “nice dream” that lulls them into a sense of peace and security.

In the first verse, Thom Yorke sings about being loved, protected, and nurtured. The narrator compares themselves to a plant who is being given sunshine by the crowd of supportive loved ones. The loved ones tend to the narrator, adopting a caretaking role in the narrator’s plant life. This could reflect the narrator’s desire for their loved ones to take care of themperhaps they have tumultuous emotions that need tending to or a worsening mental illness that they feel would be alleviated by care from others.

Then Thom Yorke sings, “nice dream,” indicating that their care and protection is only a fantasy that they have dreamed up. It is a fantasy that they want to live in. In fact, they do live in it, but they are beginning to acknowledge that it is dream, based on the repetition of the phrase “nice dream.”

Thom Yorke performing

In the second verse, Yorke sings, “I call up my friend, the good angel,” an indication that the narrator is still in an idealizing, fantasy state where they believe everything is better than it is. They proceed to be sent to voicemail, where their friend tells them she’d love to “help,” but “the sea would electrocute us all.” Their friend is not there for them like they want her to be, no matter how wholeheartedly they believed she (and their other loved ones) would be when they sang in the first verse.

The line, “the sea would electrocute us all” (if she helped) is interesting in that it subverts the narrator earlier comparison of themselves to a plant and makes the narrator painfully human, jarring them into reality. After all, plants cannot be electrocuted, but humans can.

Thom Yorke performing

The motif of the sea is a powerful one as well. The sea can consume and subsume, shift and morph, ebb and flow. The narrator is incapable of ebbing and flowing or morphingthey are trapped in their fantasy. If the friend were to help them, the sea would electrocute them both. In other words, the narrator would be shocked out of their fantasy and realize that the friend doesn’t really care for them, understand them, or have the capacity to nurture them in the way they want the way they have deluded themselves into believing she does.

Overall, (Nice Dream) is a song about someone’s cemented fantasy, which they would only be shocked out of by seeing their friend try to help them. Stay loose and dream lucid!