Hello guys!  So today’s blog is going to be pretty exciting because the 2020 Oscars occurred on February 10th.  Some of the movies I discussed previously in this blog won different awards, so I want to update you guys on films I was rooting for and films that are now on my must see list.

Image result for 92nd academy awards
Fig 1.

The first film I discussed, Little Women, won an award for best costume design.  I thought this movie would win more awards, like supporting actor, but the costumes in the movie were unique, so I can understand why Little Women won this award.  Typically, I don’t care as much about the costume award because I think this could be awarded to so many movies, but I do think it is interesting to see all the different awards films can win because it reminds the audience how many different people play a role in the creation of a movie.  The next film I was rooting for, 1917, won 3 Oscars, best cinematography, best sound mixing, and best visual effects.  I think all of these awards make sense because the way 1917 was shot made it unique and visually pleasing.

Image result for parasite
Fig 2.

There are a few films that one multiple awards that I have not seen yet, and after watching them win different awards I will be sure to check them out.  Parasite won 4 awards, one of them, best motion picture.  Parasite received a 99% on rotten tomatoes and I have heard many good things about it so this film might be number one on my list of films to see.  My sister just saw Jojo Rabbit and said it was very entertaining.  This film won best adapted screenplay this year, so it might be number two on my list.  The plot of Jojo Rabbit seems very unique and interesting, it is about a German boy who has an imaginary friend, Adolf Hitler.  Both Parasite and Jojo Rabbit are dark comedies so if you like that type of humor, like me, I would also add them to your own movie list!

Image result for jojo rabbit
Fig 3.

I also think it is cool to note the movie awarded best documentary and best short documentary.  Sometimes it can be hard to find a good documentary and I usually find that all films nominated within the documentary category are really good.  This year, American Factory won best documentary, and Learning to Skateboard in a War zone (if You’re a Girl) won best short documentary.

3 thoughts on “A Simple Summary: The 92nd Academy Awards

1. I just recently watched both Jojo Rabbit and Parasite. I thought they were hilarious, but they are dark comedies, so people should know that before they decide to watch it. I was also very happy that Parasite won the Oscar for best motion picture. I think it deserved it because of the unexpected twit in the middle of the movie. I definitely recommend you watch it. What movie did you think should have won the Oscar for best picture?

2. These are actually some films that sound interesting. I’ve never heard of anyone having Hitler as their imaginary friend. In my opinion, the Oscars do pick some of the best movies and I should definitely see them. Receiving a 99% on Rotten Tomatoes is a hard task. I really hope that the movies aren’t just all hype and when I go to see them I am disappointed by setting my expectations too high.

3. JoJo Rabbit and Parasite both sound like fantastic movie recommendations for me. I am glad to see the Oscars representing different movies that deviate from the conventional standards, and I also commend them for awarding best motion picture to a dubbed Korean film. I am curious to see what other contenders were in the running to win these two awards.