Week 2 Passion Blog

From left to right: Jonny Rogoff (Drummer, I don’t know why he’s holding the bass guitar), Mariko Doi (Bass Guitar), Daniel Blumberg (Vocals and Rhythm Guitar), and Max Bloom (Lead Guitar).

Okay, so I probably should have given an overview of what my passion blogs will be about every week when I posted for the first time. Oh well, I’m making up for it now. This blog will be about a bunch of awesome bands that most of you probably haven’t heard about, but if you have thats sickkkkkk. You see, I absolutely love to find new music, its a hobby of mine. When I find some group with a great sound it makes my day, but I can’t stop there, I need to find more.

So last week was about Radio Moscow, one of the first bands that I discovered. This week I will be talking about one of my more recent finds. Yuck. Yes that really is their name. What I think is very interesting about them is their sound. Most bands I’ve found have a blues-rock sort of vibe (think White Stripes or early Black Keys) or a psychedelic sound (Pink Floyd, Hendrix, Jefferson Airplane sort of stuff but way more intense and definitely more baked), but Yuck are unique. They have a late ‘80s-early ‘90s sound that resembles Dinosaur Jr., Sonic Youth, early R.E.M., even elements of the Smashing Pumpkins shine through at moments. At this time, Yuck has only one self-titled album out but with the bonus version containing 18 songs, you definitely will find enough to listen to. Nearly every song off this album is a jewel, each one having its own beautiful melody from the guitars. Yuck ranges from sweet, driving melodies like “Shook Down” and “Sunday” to tracks with screaming, fuzzed out guitars and touches of mayhem like “Get Away” or “The Wall”. Truth is I can’t wait for this band to put out new material. These guys are just getting started and judging from what they’ve already put out, I can’t wait to see what’s next.

Here’s some of their material:

Get Away       The Wall       Sunday       Cousin Corona

This entry was posted in Passion and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.