Week 2 Work in Progress

I might be in the minority, but I love public speaking. I did Lincoln Douglas debate in high school and I learned to become very calm and comfortable with speaking. I do sometimes have a little bit of a pronunciation problem but for the most part I can get through my speech smoothly. What I think I can learn from the speeches that I’ve seen so far is to be prepared. You could easily tell the students that had practiced and worked over their speech. Not only were they smooth and very informative, they kept me interested, even if I didn’t find their topics all that exciting. Another advantage of being prepared before hand was that the speaker was much more engaging with eye contact and vocal variance. My only concern is the actual content of my speech. I’m doing it on a call to action by wikipedia to stop the Stop Online Piracy Act. I hope that I will be able to piece together each point and have good transitions. Transitions between ideas were always a problem in my essays and research papers at high school. Maybe since this is more of a public speaking situation than a persuasive essay, I will be able to compose my speech better. Other than my reservations toward what I will say, I’m rather excited to go up in front of the class and present. I think if I just chill out, stay confident in what I know I can do well and just go for it, I’ll be able to do very well. The only thing holding back someone from publicly speaking well is their self. With the right amount of preparation, good word choice, and audience engagement, anyone can be a good public speaker. You just have to have faith in yourself.

This entry was posted in work in progress and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.