GUTS Ranking

September25

Hello all! This is a late post, but better late than never. After some time I have come up with my—personal opinion—ranking of Miss. Olivia Rodrigo’s new album, GUTS.

12. bad idea right? genius link

Please don’t hate me for this. The song, bad idea right?, in itself is not terrible. Personally, I don’t think it’s her best work, when I first gave it a listen I wasn’t really sucked into it, unlike my other experiences with Rodrigo’s other songs. The beginning of the song reminds me of Cake By the Ocean by DNCE, I really don’t know why, but that thought definitely has a factor in my decision-making. One thing about Rodrigo is that her lyrics are so damn catchy, as much as I don’t really favor the beat, her lyrics stay stuck in my head. If I have to recall one specific line from the song it’d be the chorus “..yes I know that he’s my ex, but cant two people reconnect, I only see him as a friend, biggest lie I’ve ever said..” The rhyming scheme is what has me replaying the chorus in my head.

11. love is embarrassing. genius link.

Again, this song is very good and this is my opinion!! Like with all of Ridrigo’s songs I think her lyricism is very relatable because yes, love is very embarrassing. This is one of her more upbeat songs and as a sad music lover, It wouldn’t be right if I placed this higher. Although this song captures teenage love very well, it’s complicated and it sucks.

10. teenage dream. genius link.

Okay, I know I said I am a sad song lover, but this song sends me into a coma of depression. “When am I going to stop being wise beyond my years and start being wise.” Like, does she hate me? I’d listen to this song more because it is so beautiful but it makes me so incredibly sad that my brain and heart cannot take it.

9. pretty isn’t pretty. genius link.

The beat makes me want to scream this song in my car with the windows down, because wow. This song is so real, I feel like every girl has image issues, and it’s refreshing to have a song that normalizes this. I rank it at nine mostly because although her message is so beautiful, I think it is also pretty common to have songs about image issues. This doesn’t change the importance or gravity of the song, but it’s expected; especially because this album, is about being a teenager.

8. ballad of a homeschooled girl. genius link.

I would call this the ballad of a public schooled girl, get it…yeah you get it. I would like to emphasize again that this album is really about being a teenage girl. I don’t know if you guys have seen this meme but, there’s like a trend going around about how when girls mess up, they’re always like “I’m just a girl,” which is so real. Olivia captures that whole “Well I’m just a girl” excuse so well. This song really embodies that too, “…I’m on the outside of the greatest inside joke, And I hate all my clothes, Feels like my skin doesn’t fit right over my bones..” These are really issues that I personally think of all the time. Rodrigo is really the queen of being relatable.

7. logical. genius link.

This is honestly so hard. I love all of these songs and ranking them is not as easy as I thought It’d be. Now that we’re almost halfway through the ranking, all these songs can honestly be tied for #1 but I’m not going to do that to y’all. Logical is really about how easily love can mess up your head, “Two plus two equals five, and I’m the love of your life, Cause, if rain don’t pour then sun, don’t shine..” All of these obviously not true and illogical.

6. all-american bitch. genius link.

Listening to this song I literally feel like I’m in an early 2000s movie like yes, “I know my age and I act like it..” A perfect example of enjoying your youth, it honestly reminds me of Lindsay Lohan in Confession of a Teenage Drama Queen. The transition from a really soft melody to a crashing guitar sound is just so chef’s kiss to my ears.

5. vampire. genius link.

This was Rodrigo’s first single to be released from this album. I won’t lie to you guys, it took me a minute to warm up to it. The more I listened to it though, the more I loved it. The song is really about realization, she finally realized he was sucking her dry, sucking the life out of her. I place this as #5 because, on the scream-cry spectrum, it is definitely up there. The song almost makes me emotionally violent, if that’s even an actual term.

4. get him back! genius link. 

I love a good female rage/revenge song. Better than Revenge by Taylor Swift, has the same vibe. The revenge aspect of it is what really ties it up for me. But the lyrics, beat, and the fact it’s a really good song is what has me hooked. Again, I’m not much of an upbeat girl, so the fact this is high on my list says something.

3. lacy. genius link.

Lacy is so delicate and strong at the same time. Is it about envy? or love? Rodrigo has me listening and wanting more.

Ooh, I care, I care, I care
Like perfume that you wear, I linger all the time
Watching, hidden in plain sight
And ooh, I try, I try, I try
But it takes over my life, I see you everywhere
The sweetest torture one could bear

The chorus alone can explain why I ask these questions. This song has me thinking about whether it’s about a crush or the jealousy she has for the other women mentioned. It’s rumored it’s about Rordrigo’s friend and also artist, Gracie Abrams. For me, the song is about comparing, like I will never be lacy.

2. making the bed. genius link. 

This song is for all my recovering toxic relationship girlies. This song brings me back to when I was making my own bed, and I had to lie in it. It makes me relive a bad time and makes me glad I overcame it. Rodrigo has been in her fair share of relationships and she encaptures it so well.

And I’m playin’ the victim so well in my head
But it’s me who’s been makin’ the bed” 

This section from the chorus sums it up. You can try to blame others for going back time after time but in the end, it was your decision to go back. Although this song is incredibly sad it also implies that there is a light at the end of a very dark and long tunnel.

1. the grudge. genius link.

My number one. This song is about letting go, not needing closure. Sometimes not every bad situation is gonna give a crystal clear answer as to why it happened. And I’m not defending that, but it’s inevitable. Going through a really sucky relationship and not having a real answer to why,

“And I try to be tough, but I wanna scream
How could anybody do the things you did so easily?
And I say I don’t care, I say that I’m fine
But you know I can’t let it go, I’ve tried, I’ve tried, I’ve tried for so long
It takes strength to forgive, but I don’t feel strong”

It’s a song about confusion. But having to be okay with that confusion, just to be able to let go without knowing. Which takes a certain amount of strength, and it’s okay if not everyone is there yet, she made that clear.

by posted under Passion | 1 Comment »    
One Comment to

“GUTS Ranking”

1. October 5th, 2023 at 1:54 pm      Reply Morgan Phillips Says:

This post was so amazing and fun to read. It had me giggling and kicking my feet I need to listen to this album.

Email will not be published

Website example

Your Comment: