Classical Music: A Tale as Old as Time

As someone who is classically trained and appreciates classical music but also loves many other genres and artists, be that mainstream pop or underground punk rock bands, I can feel the divide between the music that is appreciated today and classical music. I have heard people say “this makes me want to sleep” or “this is so boring can you PLEASE change the song?”. A large majority of people seem to completely disregard this entire world of music before learning more about it. At first I thought it was the natural process of things getting outdated as new kinds of music come into the mix, but that isn’t really true either. Classical music wasn’t an “era”. It cannot be referred to the same way we refer to 90s music or 80s music. It is its own genre, rich in history, our only musical record of the last few centuries, with new contemporary classical music being composed even today, yet it is constantly boiled down to bro can you be any more nerdy?

While most of the issues lie with people’s perception of the music, I also believe the classical music world has not been able to find the right way to appeal to the current generation, and is often presumptuous of the fact that people should just know that classical music is nuanced and beautiful. We all know those people that discover classical music one day and suddenly think everyone else is completely dense and inferior. Or the young classically trained musicians that turn their nose up at anything mainstream and condemn anyone who mentions the words rap song in their vicinity. All this does is draw a further divide, and portrays classical music in a worse light. It begins to appear inaccessible and is associated with uptight, preppy music conservatory kids.

Despite the theme to Barbie and the Twelve Dancing Princesses being my only early exposure to classical music, I still grew up with a huge appreciation for it as my family loved listening to it too. And while there are many others like me, there is still a large amount of stereotyping surrounding it that has influenced even adults perceptions of classical music. This is where organisations and conservatories should start reaching out in a fresh way to the current generation, providing more education, more awareness of the benefits of learning or listening to classical music and maybe one day it won’t just be music for old people. 

5 thoughts on “Classical Music: A Tale as Old as Time

1. Ananya, to be honest I never really appreciated any real classical music. When I was younger I used to play the piano and I wanted to love it so much, but I just couldn’t. I always found it fascinating how people could be so musically inclined and play such hard pieces. Now after reading this I wish I appreciated it more!

2. There is a “high-end” local grocery store here in Madison, WI that only plays classical music. I always feel happy when I go there and find myself wanting to hum along. But I also recognize the “class” in classical – there is a perception (myth) that classical music is primarily enjoyed and consumed by white elites. How did that become a “commonplace” – and how could that commonplace be altered through rhetoric??

Have you seen the viral videos of the twins reacting to “classic” songs for the first time, such as “In the Air Tonight?” I am imagining the same kind of viral reactions to amazing and groundbreaking classical music compositions…

1. I have noticed the issues of class interwoven with perceptions of classical music, but I think there are many people online who are trying to deconstruct these perceptions everyday! The issue still exists however, and I hope that the construct eventually dissolves through more open discussion.
      Yes! I have seen that video, it would be really fun if there were more reaction videos for classical music too.

Something I didn’t think to add in my post was a controversial event that took place on Twitter this year. The Royal Ballet tweeted a sly comment about how the hashtag “Black Swan” was trending because of BTS’s new song instead of the Tchaikovsky ballet. I am not well-versed BTS and their music, but everyone is aware that they have reached a massive audience through their own artistic expression. So when an organisation that represents classical art forms makes condescending comments, it does not sit well with a younger audience and can ostracise them from classical music and art forms. Such commentary needs to change!

3. Ananya, I feel the same way about classical music. I grew up listening to classical music because my family played it every night when we would eat dinner. I wish that people had a greater appreciation for it because it is underrated.