Stranger Things As A Cultural Phenomenon

Stranger Things was one of Netflix’s first original series and remains to be one of the defining moments in their history. The title theme has become so iconic you can picture the red neon glow every time you hear it. Eleven isn’t just a number. Eggos are not just boring waffles anymore.  There is no shortage of discussion out there about the story, the music, the characters, and the homage to 80’s culture throughout the seasons. But how exactly did it gain such massive success?

Firstly, Stranger Things displays the success of releasing all episodes of a season at once, as opposed to the conventional method of releasing an episode per week. Removing the time in between where an audience mulls over an episode and waits for the next one can create a sort of divide between each episode, which can limit creative possibilities. What I mean by that is, when creating an episodic series, each episode needs to have its own arc, that fits into the overall plot of the entire season. When episodes are released every week, the plot of each episode can take greater precedence over the overall effect of the entire story as a whole. As the Duffer Brothers mention in interviews, they wanted to create a cinematic experience similar to a film. I believe that the ‘binge-ability’ of the show is what causes audiences to feel a greater emotional connection to the characters that can surpass that of films or conventionally released TV shows. This could have had a great deal to do with the almost cult following the show generated after its initial success.

Secondly, and possibly most notably, the show banks on its constant sense of nostalgia. In the last 4 years or so, a trend has come about that has gone by many names. ‘Vintage’, ‘Retro’, ‘Nostalgic’. More and more people in the younger generation, who haven’t even lived through the 80s have hopped on this trend. Older things, whether its fashion or music, or cinema have been gaining greater preference. It may just be because it is considered cool or because of deeper cultural shifts. I don’t really know. But Stranger Things came at a perfect time, or shall I say kairotic. It portrayed 80s culture in a new and fresh way that could appeal to audiences that may not understand all the references. It almost creates a bridge between our current era and the 80s because a lot of what the characters experience aside from the sci-fi horror plot is relatable even today. At the end of the day, Stranger Things is a massive coming of age story that utilizes the time period it is set in for its benefit.

Lastly, I was surprised at how much time the show spends on pure character interaction that may not be highly crucial for the overall plot. While the story is quite crazy with a lot of end-of-the-world stuff going on, the show is able to pull back with a lot of character moments that fit seamlessly into the high-paced, intense plot. I think Season 3 displayed this the most, with the interactions between Steve and Dustin, and Eleven and Max. I personally found it refreshing because it reinforced this concept of telling what you might consider ‘an adult story’ through a kid’s eyes. The show is bloody and violent but the protagonists are still kids, so it is cool to see that the writers didn’t hold back on setting up character development for them outside of the main plot. Unless time is spent on such interactions, it is hard for audiences, especially younger ones to really root for characters. In the case of Stranger Things, the love for the characters really extended away from the show, with countless memes and edits that really show how effectively the characters were portrayed on the show and the extent of their impact.

I still find it really interesting how a show like Stranger Things gained such a large following so easily. It kickstarted Netflix’s exploration of creating their own original series. It popularised 80s culture again and brought a lot of new ideas to the table as well, with its multi-genre approach, quirky/corny humor that fits well with the overall vibe, and of course, its engaging characters. It’s probably one of the most ‘bingeable’ shows of all time, and of course, if you haven’t seen it yet, I would definitely recommend it.

One thought on “Stranger Things As A Cultural Phenomenon

1. Surprisingly I have never watched Stranger Things, it really never peaked my interest and still doesn’t. I find it so interesting what the directors said about wanting it to feel more of a cinematic experience when watching it. I do think that has contributed immensely to the cult like fan base. People get so invested and beg people to share that experience with them. Greta post, but too weird of a show for me.