uplifting songs and artists!

Hi everyone!

I thought I would dedicate this week’s passion post to sharing some music that I find uplifting or put me in a good mood! Of course, this is very subjective, which is why I think it would be amazing if you shared songs that put you in a good mood in the comments, if you like of course!

I think at this point in the semester a lot of us might be experiencing burnout or something similar, making it important that we all are kind and supportive of one another. So, while listening to music does not solve all problems, I hope it creates a positive, shared experience!

1. Good Days – SZA

I think a lot of people have had this song on one of their ‘happy playlists’ for a while now and for good reason. The title says it all. This song feels like opening the window on a sunny morning and breathing in the fresh air. SZA has one of the most unique discographies of any artist out there right now. Her sound is immediately recognizable and refreshing. Her lyricism is always very vulnerable, honest, and upfront. Admittedly, her music is not for everyone, but if you enjoy contemporary R&B and conversational-style music then I think SZA is a great artist to get into. Good Days is produced by Jacob Collier who does the backing vocals too, so if you are a fan of Jacob, you will probably like the song.

2. Uff Teri Adaa – Shankar Mahadevan, Alyssa Mendonca

A Hindi song! Well, it does have some English during the chorus but it’s mostly Hindi. I thought I would switch it up a bit and share a song that I grew up with and is basically a staple of any get-together with Indian Gen-Zers. If you have not listened to Bollywood music before, this might be a good way to start. It was released 6-7 years ago, so it has a bit of the nostalgia of old Bollywood sounds, with more recent trends. This song is usually a dance party song, and while we are not going to any parties for obvious reasons, it is still a great feel-good song that is super catchy and upbeat.

3. After The Storm – Kali Uchis ft. Tyler, The Creator, Bootsy Collins

Another popular track. Kali Uchis has been on the rise for the last couple years and has worked on some amazing tracks with all kinds of amazing artists. This positivity anthem has some great nostalgic sounds thrown into it with a very retro laid-back beat.  This song is great on days you don’t feel so great with lyrics that make you believe in your own strength: if you need a hero, just look in the mirror. 

4. Waking Up Slow (Piano Version) – Gabrielle Aplin

I mostly just love this song, and specifically this version, because Gabrielle has a very beautiful, pleasant voice. This song is light and twinkly (that’s the best way I can describe it). While I think it is supposed to be a love song, I like to think it can apply to friends that you care about dearly. The lyrics are beautiful: “when I’m with you, it’s like everything glows” and generally fills you with positive emotions. I think if you enjoy any kind of piano ballad, you would enjoy this song.

5. J’attends – Ben Mazue, Pomme (Acoustic Session)

I absolutely adore this song! Pomme is a French artist I talked about last semester, and she is absolutely great. This duet is so calming to listen to because Ben and Pomme’s voice blend so well. I categorize songs like this to be ‘campfire’ songs, just because they use a guitar and a shaker, making the song sound very ‘jovial’.

Of course, these songs come from my music taste, which might be completely different to yours! I am always open to new kinds of music so please feel free to share what you have been listening to in the comments 🙂

One thought on “uplifting songs and artists!

1. Ananya, thank you for sharing some much needed positive songs. I have been in quite the slump lately and needed some new songs to cheer me up. I love Good Days and have been listening to it on repeat for a while now. One of my favorite upbeat artists is Kim Petras. Her songs never fail to put me in a good mood, and I can’t help but move around and get out of a funk when I listen to them. Another song I have been really vining with is Levitating ft Dababy by Dua Lipa. This song is criminally catchy and just so good!