First Steps in 3Ds Max 2017 – Polygon Modeling

I’m happy to realize that I’ve made some progress learning 3Ds Max and working on the first steps of my interior design project.

So far, I made the first floor plan by extruding the walls and then cut holes for doors and windows using Boolean compound object.

Now, let’s go little deeper into the process. Before actually cutting these holes, I need to make polygons “legal” (in 3DS Max polygons are not supposed to have nested holes in them and are supposed to have only 4 sides without any weird surfaces and faces) by adding new edges with the Cut tool and correcting topology with QuickSlice tool.  So, the polygon mesh has to be clean!

After these steps have been done, I go ahead and prepare Boolean subtraction operands (an operand is an object that participates in a Boolean operation) which in this case are boxes that cut holes in those walls for doors and windows.

After a lot of prep steps have been done (very important not to skip anything) I am ready to cut these holes with Booleans with just one step. But again, we need to make sure all boxes are converted to Editable polies (by converting one box and attaching all other ones to it). Then, we create Boolean compound object, click on Add Operands and under Operand Parameters choose Substract. Boom!

After boolean is done, it’s aways better to save as a new file and give it a new name in case I want to go back and edit the object in the future. Then, I convert an entire floor plan to the Editable Poly (which makes the boolean permanent) and save again as a finished product.

Now I can finally go ahead and add doors and windows.

Living Room & Kitchen: Two Spaces Become One

The living room is perhaps one of the most important rooms in our homes. A lot of modern houses nowadays follow the idea of making a living room combined with the kitchen and dining area.

Firstly, the undeniable advantage of kitchen combined with a living room is space for the expansion of the usual meeting of households at the dinner table. Second, a living room gets much more daylight thanks to the kitchen windows. Third, while cooking at the kitchen, a mom, for example, is always free to communicate with other family members who are constantly in the field of view. Fourth, it is much easier to host large parties or family gatherings. And last but not least, in combination with the successful design the unity of kitchen and living room would substantially transform the interior, fill apartment with comfort, and contribute to its functionality.

Below is the slideshow of screenshots of the living room combined with the dining area model made in SketchUp. (Please note the walls and furniture are white which means that color or texture is undefined as of now).

After combining the kitchen I made before with this model of the living room space, we get the final sketch. Below is the gallery of the final combo screenshots.

Kitchens: Good Memories and Healthy History

Intro

Growing up, the kitchen was a place where my mom and I connected. Kitchen was the place where I used to eat breakfast every day before going to school. At the end of the day, we ate dinner and drank a cup of tea sitting at the tiny dining table. Our kitchen was tiny but it made great family memories. There is just something about being in the kitchen that makes the world a better place. When I’m in the kitchen all the worries of the day disappear.

Useful info

The crucial point I would like to make is that kitchens are bacteria hotspots, and if not kept in a good state of cleanliness, can be harmful for people. Many people believe that kitchen interior color choice should be anything but white since white shows all possible spots, dust and dirt. Besides, it is probably the most frequently visited place in the whole house. However, I would go opposite – make it white and see how clean and fresh your kitchen looks. And again, it is not just my personal preference. John Riha, who has written seven books on home improvement, claims that white kitchen has a healthy history:

Roll back a few years to get a handle on white’s popularity. In the 1920s and ‘30s, white was about the only color offered by manufacturers. To paraphrase Henry Ford, you could have your choice of any color at all, as long as it was white.

That made sense. White was associated with sanitation and health, and to a population not far removed from a deadly worldwide flu epidemic, household cleanliness was all-important.

Times have changed, but white’s healthy glow endures. Dirt just can’t hide in an all-white kitchen. (www.houselogic.com)

He also points out that white is affordable color: “And because it’s a standard color for any manufacturer, it’s your ally: You’ll find white cabinets, tile, counters, faucets, sinks, and appliances to fit any budget”. Besides, white kitchens create even bigger visual space. So altogether, it is a lot of pros in white.

Solution

This picture is the source of my inspiration which is taken from v-boos.ru – the website of Russian interior designer Vera Boos.

The kitchen in my house model is a spacious functional place which is used not only for cooking and preparing food, but also for frequent family gatherings. I want to make sure that it has plenty of space for the families with more than 1 or 2 kids. It has a kitchen island which functions as an additional surface for cooking and the table for the quick family meals (like breakfasts). It has a big window in front of the sink, french doors (backyard entrance), and lots of lighting. It also has built-in appliances, and lots of kitchen cabinets for storing. Cabinets should be high gloss white combined with elegant wooden gloss (unfortunately, SketchUp cannot show this kind of reflective surfaces).

REFERENCES

Riha, John. “Why White Kitchens Stand the Test of Time.” Houselogic, HouseLogic, 14 Dec. 2017, www.houselogic.com/by-room/kitchen/why-white-kitchens-stand-test-time/.

Boos, Vera. “FavoHouse.” VBOOS, v-boos.ru/wp/2017/02/15/favohouse/.