Discovering the World

In Part I of her memoir, Lynsey Addario discusses the origins of her passion for photography. She describes her family life and how she got her first camera as a gift from her father. Then, she tells the story of her grandmother, and how she allowed love to fall through her fingertips. This story is meant to present an important theme that will recur throughout the rest of her life story: how to balance a love life with a passion. Time is limited, and almost always there is not enough time to have a healthy love life while pursuing a passion. So, one must choose between the two, and Addario, evidently chooses her passion of photography.

Looking back at my passion for food, I can’t really pinpoint a singular moment in time. It was really just a combination of my mother’s regular home cooked meals and watching Gordon Ramsay’s Youtube channel. The passion for cooking, however, emerged from me being forced to cook after my mom moved to China, leaving me behind to take care of the cooking. It was hard seeing my mom leave, but I was never the kind to back away from a challenge, so I took it upon myself to replace my mom’s home cooked meals with some of my own.

Cooking is a passion, but it isn’t a career aspiration, as it was with Addario. I definitely won’t be encountering the scenario of choosing between love and cooking. Cooking provides a well deserved break from my studies in differential equations or organic chemistry. Cooking also bridges gaps between cultures, as food is universal, and we can all appreciate a good meal, no matter who it’s cooked by.

One thought on “Discovering the World

1. I know blogs aren’t necessarily that long but I see potential in here for a lot of other stories and blogs that would be great to tell. This is only a small “taste” of interesting stories to tell in the future and I hope you tell us about them. There’s a lot here to look forward too.