PRIVATE VS PUBLIC

When I started high school, my best friend across the street enrolled in a private high school rather than going to the one in our school district. I remember being completely thrown off by it. She made the switch so that she could be recruited by colleges to play basketball. I thought it was kind of cool that she was willing to switch schools. She was always insanely good at basketball, so it made perfect sense that she would want to ensure she was recruited to a D1 school. But I guess her plans didn’t work out. Ironically enough, she hated going to private school. She came back to our public high school after ninth grade, and even more ironically she now goes to Penn State too. Oh, and she doesn’t play basketball. I can also attest to the fact that many students from my high school are recruited every year to play D1 sports, attend Ivy leagues, or accomplish other magnificent feats. All while not paying for some fancy education. So that begs to ask the question, are private schools worth it?

The top reason parents put their kids into private schools is because they “want what is the best for their children”. But how do they know what the best is? There are valid arguments for both sides, so it is hard to say which is the best. The most logical answer is to say that private schooling is not a one-size-fits-all. Depending on the person it could be worth it or it could not be. 

Proponents of private schools say that the school district they live in is not adequate, and think that a better education can be found elsewhere. The other side says that there is no point in paying for education when it is offered for free through the public system. But while this so-called free education is available to everyone, the quality cannot be promised. So in this case, the private school supporters raise a fair argument. Unfortunately not all public schools are equal. They vary in size, resources, opportunities, etc. This inequality amongst public schooling often leads parents to drop big bucks for their kids to get a private education. In 2020, the average cost of one year for private elementary school was $13,000 and one year of private high school was $16,000. And these are the costs of private schools that do not have boarding fees. If parents are willing to make the commute to a private school, they may be able to save several thousand dollars. 

Phillips Academy Andover Profile (2022) | Andover, MA

Phillips Academy Andover School, the top ranked private school in the US

Private schools also have a reputation of producing better outcomes. This means that students who graduate from private high schools get into more elite colleges. This is an appealing offer that wealthy families find hard to turn down. If they have the extra money to spend, why not pay for a slightly better chance at going to Harvard? But this reputation does not take into account the many public schools that produce just as viable and successful students. In fact, a recent study from the 2018-2020 college admission process showed that 63% of public high school students applying to college were accepted into a Top 30 university.  This is comparable to the private school percentage of 60%. This goes to show that private schooling is not necessarily the key to success in the education world. 

Another pro or con, depending on your values, is that private schools are less diverse than public schools (for obvious reasons). If you attend a private school, you are likely to find yourself in a community of people who are more or less the same. This can be great if its your kind of crowd, or it could be miserable. Public schools host a much broader range of students which always brings excitement and a welcoming atmosphere. But this could also not be the right fit for someone who likes to live in a comfortable and familiar environment.

I guess in the end, it is a personal choice what kind of schooling parents want their children to have. Maybe they want their child to dress up in a uniform and go to some different school than the rest of the neighborhood, Or maybe they don’t. All I can say is I’m glad I never went to a private school. 

Souderton Area High School students dismissed after threat found in  bathroom - The Morning Call

My high school (Souderton)

One comment

1. dba5363 · April 22, 2022 at 6:06 pm ·

To me, it makes absolutely no sense why private schools ask for so much money compared to public schools. To be honest, unless you are going an Ivy League school, there is no point to pay double or more the amount for a private school rather than a really good school such as Penn State. At the end of the day, every college is a business, and they all make a ridiculous amount of money, even if it is a public school. I think there needs to be some kind of crackdown on private colleges regarding tuition because it just keeps rising more and more every year.