Advancing Quality and Lean through Analytics and Navigation (AQLAN) Research Group at Penn State Behrend focuses on advancing Quality and Lean research utilizing analytics and navigation techniques (e.g., virtual reality, augmented reality, artificial intelligence, and deep learning). Specifically, we integrate process improvement methodologies with data analytics and simulation/gamification techniques. Currently, the group consists of undergraduate and graduate students working under the supervision of Dr. Aqlan and his colleagues.
Dr. Faisal Aqlan is assistant professor of industrial engineering at Penn State Behrend. He earned his Ph.D. in Industrial and Systems Engineering from the State University of New York at Binghamton in 2013. Prior to his current position, Dr. Aqlan worked at University of New Haven, Innovation Associates Company, and IBM Corporation. His work has resulted in both business value and intellectual property. He has published several papers in reputed journals and conferences. Dr. Aqlan is a senior member of the Institute of Industrial and Systems Engineers (IISE) and currently serves as the president of IISE Logistics and Supply Chain division. He is IBM-certified for Lean manufacturing and ASQ-certified for Six Sigma. Dr. Aqlan has received numerous awards and honors including:
- NSF Award #1830741 ($236,775), 2018-2020.
- NSF Award #1711603 ($567,325), 2017-2020.
- In-kind software grant (RoboDK) by RoboDK, Inc. ($89,850), 2018.
- Schreyer Institute for Teaching Excellence award, ($5,000), 2017.
- In-kind software grant (Tecnomtix Manufacturing) by Siemens Company ($20,870,310), 2016.
- Industrial Engineering and Operations Management (IEOM) Young Researcher Award, IEOM Society International, 2018.
- School of Engineering Distinguished Award for Excellence in Research, Penn State Behrend, 2018.
- Council of Fellows Faculty Research Award, Penn State Behrend, 2018.
- IBM Vice President Award for Innovation Excellence – IBM Corporation, 2013.
- Graduate Student Award for Excellence in Research – Binghamton University, 2014.
- Lean Recognition Award – IBM Corporation, 2013.
- Outstanding Academic Achievement in Graduate Studies – Binghamton University, 2013.
- Best of Manufacturing/ISC Award for Ergonomic Assessment – IBM Corporation, 2012.
- Travel grants form Binghamton University, University of New Haven, and Penn State University.
- Alpha Pi Mu – Industrial Engineering Honor Society, Binghamton University, 2012.
- Scholarship for Undergraduate Studies, 2002-2007.
- Scholarship for Graduate Studies (masters), 2008-2010.
- Scholarship for Graduate Studies (doctorate), 2010-2013.