Liquid Foundation Essentials

Finding the perfect foundation can be a daunting task. Whether you are strolling through the isles of your local CVS or exploring the majestic world of the legendary Times Square Sephora, the seemingly endless choice of formulas, brands, and finishes is enough to drive a woman insane. I, personally, have lost count of the amount of products on my “must try” list that have turned out to be too dry (resulting in a “cake-face”), too oily, or just a general disappointment. One might wonder why we even bother—why not just pick up the first product we see that is wrapped up in pretty packaging? Women are willing to scour the entire world for the perfect foundation because it can truly act as a canvas for the rest of one’s makeup when applied properly (not to mention it’s almost magical powers to erase blemishes and even-out one’s skin tone).

Unfortunately, there is no single foundation that will work for everyone. This is because finding the perfect foundation is a very intimate process. Everything about it, from the consistency to the amount of coverage, has to be chosen specifically to suit the customer’s needs—I mean this will be going on our faces everyday right? This is why there are so many types of foundation available; the main seven are: liquid, cream, tinted moisturizer, whipped foundation, stick foundation, powder, and mineral. Since there is such a variety, today I will just be covering liquid foundation in greater depth. Since the majority of my readers are college students on a budget, I have tried to include mostly drug-store brands, which are generally affordable, in my “top four” list.

4) Maybelline FIT
This is a tricky product to review. Despite all the negative comments about the foundation, I just had to try it out for myself. This is definitely not a product I would recommend for anyone with skin on the oily side. It has an extremely dewy finish and tends to look too shiny on anyone whose skin is not naturally dry. That being said, this product worked quite well on me, and consistently left me with summery glow. This foundation is great for sheer coverage and is most suitable for younger skin.

Screen Shot 2014-09-17 at 8.41.37 PM

3) Neutrogena Healthy Skin
The Neutrogena Healthy Skin liquid foundation is best for those who are looking for light to medium coverage. Many have asserted that this product and the more expensive NARS Sheer Glow have similar qualities, and I have to say this holds true in my own experience with the two foundations. Healthy Skin works well on dry/combination skin and leaves a dewy finish. In addition, it has an SPF 20, which is great for mature skin. The only downsides I found to this product were the limited shade variety and its sheer coverage (as I personally prefer medium to full).

Screen Shot 2014-09-17 at 5.10.14 PM
2) Revlon Colorstay
For those who constantly have to worry about their faces “melting off,” this is the product for you! Yes, there are some clear downsides such as its heaviness and chemical smell, but for the summer humidity, I have not found anything better. Applying this foundation can be a little difficult because of low “blendabilty,” but once it is on, it stays matte all day and leaves you with a flawless finish.

Screen Shot 2014-09-17 at 9.10.18 PM
1) Revlon Photoready
I almost have nothing negative to say about Photoready (great job Revlon!). This foundation has buildable coverage and is great for medium to full. Unlike many Revlon products I have tried in the past, it does not appear orange or cakey. In fact, it actually leaves a very natural glow for a healthy-looking appearance. Ironically, the only downside I have found is that it is a little too dewy on its own in pictures! However, using some translucent power on top easily solves this. Overall, this has been one of my favorites for quite some time.

Screen Shot 2014-09-17 at 9.01.45 PM

Hope you all enjoyed this post—until next week everyone!

8 Comments on Liquid Foundation Essentials

1. Megan Svensson
    September 19, 2014 at 3:01 pm (10 years ago)

Thank you for posting this! I am a makeup minimalist who literally wears just mascara every day, but I’ve been trying to get into wearing more makeup! Look forward to seeing more beauty tips from you so I can incorporate them into my daily makeup routine!

2. Gabrielle Genetelli
    September 19, 2014 at 2:58 pm (10 years ago)

I really feel your pain on this one! I’ve tried so many products and they never really turn out to be what I want. I think that it really depends on your skin type. A foundation that works for someone else doesn’t always work for me and it is so frustrating. Thanks for sharing your finds and I’ll definitely be reading next week!

3. Jennifer Lee Deraney
    September 19, 2014 at 2:57 pm (10 years ago)

I must agree that although I don’t wear foundation daily, when I do it is often a challenge to find an accurate match for my skin tone! This post was helpful in describing the different elements of what makes a good foundation and I will certainly keep your tips in mind next time I am on the hunt for a new product. I also struggle to find really great mascaras and would love to see a post about that in the future! Nice post.

4. Tanya Tara Arora
    September 19, 2014 at 2:56 pm (10 years ago)

I struggled to find the perfect foundation for my skin type for months when I first started experimenting with makeup, so I am very happy this post could help you out Sarah (at least a little)!

5. Elizabeth Grayce Hopta
    September 19, 2014 at 2:53 pm (10 years ago)

I like the info provided here. I never really wore make-up before and now (since I’m trying this whole make-up deal so late) I have no idea what I’m doing. Great blog & very helpful! You definitely made me want to try some of these products!

6. Tanya Tara Arora
    September 19, 2014 at 2:52 pm (10 years ago)

Anya, I have yet to try nyx for foundation; I must try it! I agree that a huge problem with foundation is the lack of color variety. Thank you, I’m glad you enjoyed the post!

7. Sarah Elizabeth Henry
    September 19, 2014 at 2:47 pm (10 years ago)

I don’t typically wear make up but when I do I don’t use Foundation. Once though my friend had me use it and I personally really liked it so I’ve been thinking about what kind to get. This was perfect. I actually know what kind to get or what to expect from other kinds if I decide to try them. Thank you. Well done.

8. Anya Elise Swanson
    September 19, 2014 at 2:46 pm (10 years ago)

This such good information! I think foundation is one of the hardest things to look for that will really work for your skin and a lot of the time it’s just all about trial and error. I use this liquid foundation by nyx and it seems to work pretty well. I’m very fair so it’s hard to find a color that suits me without making me look like a ghost. But yes, very good blog and informative!