Winter Clothes Wishlist

At the age of eleven I fell absolutely head-over-heels in love with Penn State. From the prestigious academics, to the amazing athletics and quality of life, it had everything I wanted from a university and so much more. The day I got my acceptance letter was most definitely one of the happiest and proudest of my life. There was only one problem. Snow.

I was born and raised in California, and the idea of snow legitimately scared me. I mean my idea of “cold” was 65 degrees. When I visited campus for the first time, in mid February, I unfortunately discovered I was right to be frightened. As I participated in the accepted students campus tour, all I could think about was the actual physical pain my body was undergoing due to the harsh conditions. This is when I decided that my cotton Victoria’s Secret leggings, skimpy sweater, and Converse were not going to make the cut for my first winter in Happy Valley. Naturally, I did what any “cheimatophobic” Californian would do and hopped on The North Face website immediately and purchased the warmest ski jacket and gloves they had to offer. All jokes aside, the other day I was sitting in my dorm rummaging through my closet in search of outfits I could potentially wear in the winter when I didn’t want to look like a walking marshmallow. After an hour I gave up with my West Coast wardrobe and I turned to Pinterest (and ended up with a much thinner wallet after a few hours of online binge shopping).

I came upon four things right away: snow leggings, sweaters, coats and scarves. These are definitely basics (especially for all of you East Coast natives) but for me this was groundbreaking; certainly much different than the dresses and occasional tights that would be sufficient back home.

3475ce3ba93aaa76a7142d2431e16423

Anyway, back to my Pinterest hunt. In the pictures above the girls are wearing outfits with similar fundamental pieces, but they achieve different looks. The left seems to have a comfortable and cozy appearance, and the right reminds me of a day in the city. Either way, both are adorable and it is evident that oversized cable-knit sweaters and chunky infinity scarves are a must.

106-40BK

Ahhh, leggings; every girl’s weakness. I am all for the saying “beauty is pain,” but when it comes to the choice between leggings and jeans, leggings will win any day and everyday. The only problem is that they are so thin! This isn’t the case with these Snow Angel Doeskin leggings. The soft under layer keeps the lower body warm while keeping its sleek look without bulky.

3c613b580c39072a2e83a91baa20b67c

I had never been one for coats because I thought they were too preppy. After my online shopping extravaganza it is safe to say I have completely changed my mind. The girl above is bundled up in a chiffon white blouse, beige sweater, and button down coat. Layers really seem to be a girl’s best friend.

99c45323c364de907ac49ab75b66a38b

Finally, I just had to throw these cute cable knit headbands into this week’s post. What a perfect way to keep your ears warm and accessorize an outfit at the same time.

Hope you enjoyed this post everyone 🙂

4 Comments on Winter Clothes Wishlist

1. Tanya Tara Arora
    September 26, 2014 at 3:01 pm (10 years ago)

Gabrielle, I for sure know the legging struggle; so frustrating. The ones I found were pretty expensive, but I tried them on and they are definitely going to keep me warm in the winter.

Here’s the link! http://shop.snow-angel.com/p/doeskin-v-waist-legging

2. Christine Suhr
    September 26, 2014 at 2:55 pm (10 years ago)

Your blog made me smile, because I love winter and cold weather. I think you should’ve titled your post “Winter Clothes Checklist,” because all of the items you described are essentials for a State College winter!!

3. Gabrielle Genetelli
    September 26, 2014 at 2:52 pm (10 years ago)

I am totally in love with every product you posted on here! My biggest issue is the leggings, all the leggings I get are thin and most see through it’s so frustrating. I would love to know where to get this stuff you should post links next time! I have a serious online shopping problem, it’s an issue.

4. Anya Elise Swanson
    September 26, 2014 at 2:42 pm (10 years ago)

I love this! Even being a State College native, I’m still trying to figure out how to dress for winter while also looking stylish. I definitely need to get some scarfs and sweaters but I’ve never worn a knitted headband. I met have to get one though since I heard this winter is going to be pretty bad. Great blog!