Going Out?

Dressing to go out at Penn State is a real challenge. Not only do you have to make sure you aren’t crossing the “cute to vulgar” line, but you also have to worry about the weather. I recently went to San Diego State University and was shocked to see people going out at night in regular shorts and tops (something I would wear to the beach). Although I am envious of how simple choosing outfits there must be, I am also glad that going out attire here is largely not as casual. I feel like here, even though girls tend to wear skimpy outfits, it at least looks like they are going somewhere other than class or to the beach.
k3et85-l-610x610-tank-top-shorts-sexy-lovely-belt-cute-outfit-outwear-pretty-white-jeans-brown-country-western-modern-trend-bag-shirt-tumblr-hair-weheartit-fashion-teens-topshop-[1]SDSU night attire
089fcb0a0c71fa61e6d6aa442f969d91[1]PSU night attire (minus the purse)
Although the night attire was the most blaring difference, the clothes that were worn during the day also differed. Granted, a lot of that can be explained by obvious weather differences, but people at SDSU seemed to be more put-together during the day. I don’t know if I’m just speaking for myself, but I enjoy being able to come to class looking like I just rolled out of bed (usually I have) and fitting in with the countless other students who have clearly done the same thing. At SDSU girls were walking around in dresses and outfits that seemed like they took hours to put together. This confused me a little, because going to school here taught me to be casual during the day and dress up at night, whereas there, it seems to be flipped.
This might not have been the most riveting of topics, but it was fascinating to me and I would love to hear your thoughts 🙂

9 Comments on Going Out?

1. Sabrina Ghazal
    April 4, 2015 at 8:37 pm (9 years ago)

That is so true! PSU students do not care at all what they look like during the day. I personally couldn’t stand to go to class in PJS or sweats, but i do like the idea how you don’t have to dress to impress because everyone is the same.

2. epg5102
    April 3, 2015 at 4:19 pm (9 years ago)

I completely agree! It is fun to dress up and do makeup and hair all nice for going out I think that is part of it all. If we all wore causal clothes, it wouldn’t be as fun. As for during the day, I love my sweatshirts and leggings! Great post – Have a good weekend!

3. Victoria M. Anderson
    April 3, 2015 at 4:05 pm (9 years ago)

Being from Southern California, I totally understand what you’re saying in this post haha. People there always dress like they’re going to the beach, it’s just a lot more laid back, even when it comes to things that you actually have to dress formal for. I think that’s why when I came to PSU and saw people going out at night it was kind of a culture shock, like “woah, people actually dress up when they go out” hahah.

4. Erin Ferris
    April 3, 2015 at 3:42 pm (9 years ago)

Coming from a high school where the majority of girls put in real effort into their outfits and appearances every day, I was slightly shocked to see how common the “just got out of bed” look is here. Although, it is really interesting to see how all these girls transform into their going out looks at night.

5. OPAL-Thanakorn
    April 3, 2015 at 3:38 pm (9 years ago)

Every people want to look attractive, especially for party and bar, so people spend so much time to find the right clothes to put on. I think the night in California is so hot, so people don’t want to dress up; whereas, at Penn State, we have to dress up and be prepared for all kind of weather conditions.

6. Christine Suhr
    April 3, 2015 at 3:38 pm (9 years ago)

Wait, San Diego State University? Perhaps the chill California vibe might be affecting how students dress there. I’m guessing that students at SDSU dress more bohemian and relaxed all of the time, whereas Penn State students are the ones balancing the lazy and classy extremes for class and going out.

7. Elizabeth Grayce Hopta
    April 3, 2015 at 3:37 pm (9 years ago)

Wow, I always just assumed everyone got fancy for nights. My Italian professor recently told me that no one in Italy would be caught dead in what we consider ‘casual’ clothing here. It’s crazy to see how much style changes, even in just our own nation.

8. Southern Dan
    April 3, 2015 at 3:33 pm (9 years ago)

I’m a dude and even I can attest to this difference. During the day, I wear shorts and a t shirt, but I always save my nicer clothes for when I go out on the weekends. Any thoughts on why this patter has developed?