My Quagmire, Their Vision

I’ve lost any enthusiasm or momentum that I might have had in the beginning of the GeoDesign course that I am currently taking. If the purpose of the course was to discourage me about working to understand and propose changes to a place that I am passionate about, then it has succeeded brilliantly. As much as I want to complain, though, I owe it to myself and the people of Okinawa to learn and uncover as much as I can about such a vital almost 5 kilometer square area.

One good thing that has come out of my research has been the discovery of the Okinawa Prefectural Government’s vision for the the future of the land currently occupied by MCAS Futenma. It is called 普天間飛行場跡地 未来予想図 or “Schematic Plan for the Future of the Decommissioned Futenma Air Station”. The best thing that could happen would be if the greatest number of people could become familiarized with the plan and that an informed discussion upon its merits and shortcomings would take place.

Although translations of the website and notation is only in one language at this time, the illustrations tell a significant part of the story of how many Okinawans are envisioning their future. Hopefully translations will be forthcoming.

[For a 3D CG video of the scheme, click here]

%e6%99%ae%e5%a4%a9%e9%96%93%e9%a3%9b%e8%a1%8c%e5%a0%b4%e8%b7%a1%e5%9c%b0%e3%80%80%e6%9c%aa%e6%9d%a5%e4%ba%88%e6%83%b3%e5%9b%b3

Speak Your Mind