Does Central Jersey Exist?

As I begin this final blog post of the semester, I want to discuss an issue that sums up many of the debates I have previously discussed: Does Central Jersey exist? And which is better, North Jersey or South Jersey?

First, the issue of Central Jersey. Defining North and South Jersey is pretty simple, you just draw a line in the middle (pretty much). But is there a third region, that is that middle? And if so, what are the borders for this region? The names of the counties in this area would suggest it does indeed exist: Middlesex County is right there in the middle. Personally, I think those that claim Central Jersey does exist just don’t want to pick a side in the north vs. south debate. (Honestly I don’t really care too much, but this debate gets such a strong reaction out of people who claim to live in Central Jersey that I think it is funny). However, I do get defensive when people draw egregious borders defining Central Jersey. As this article discusses, some include Union County as a part of the central. As a Union Country resident, I find this outrageous. I live in North Jersey. End of story. There are more maps with differing borders then I could ever hope to include, but here are a few:

Image Source

Image source

Now for some cultural differences between North and South Jersey:

For me, I define North Jersey as people who are referring to New York when they say “the city,” and South Jersey as people who are referring to Philadelphia when they say the same. If someone in NJ struggles with an answer to that question, they live in the boonies. Sorry.

As I discussed in my sports post, those in the North support New York teams, such as the Yankees, Mets, Giants, or Jets, while those in the South support Philly sports teams like the Eagles and Phillies. Going full circle all the way back to my first post, the North calls it Taylor Ham, while the South refers to it as Pork Roll. 

Geographically, the North is more mountainous and has more cities. Meanwhile, the South is full of flat farmland. Similarly, the north is packed with bustling highways, while the South is home to slower country roads.The North also pays higher taxes. Another funny quirk that I’m not sure I’ve mentioned previously is that the North calls the ice cream topping sprinkles, while South Jersey refers to them as “jimmies.” What can I say, South Jerseyans are weird. Another language quirk: sandwiches are subs in the North and Hoagies in the South.

As much as North and South Jersey like to bicker, at the end of the day the debate is akin to siblings fighting. Only we are allowed to make fun of one another. Outsiders attempting to disparage New Jersey as a whole are promptly silenced. As such, I will end this blog series with one simple remark: New Jersey is not the armpit of America.

4 thoughts on “Does Central Jersey Exist?

1. As someone who does not live in New Jersey but has worked in it and visited many areas of it many times (I live very close to the border of PA and Jersey), I was initially intrigued by your post. I liked the analysis of cultural differences and the different maps of Jersey (and thought they were pretty accurate), but was disappointed you didn’t compare Central Jersey to Wyoming. Of course, it’s there geographically, but does it exist? Since you live in a county that could apparently count as Central Jersey (although I agree Union County is NOT in Central Jersey), I think this argument could be made, and would be a complex, interesting argument to make. I think you could pull it off with grace, but I’d like to see what you have to say, as a resident in New Jersey.

2. There are certainly a ton of ways to define the borders of regions in New Jersey, but I’m glad you’re sticking to your roots and making sure you’re not from Central Jersey. New York teams are better anyway so you have better taste than those who like Philly teams. Like the other commenter mentioned, a comparison to Wyoming might have been particularly relevant because sure it may be “real” but is it actually?? Lastly, as someone from northern Virginia, I fully understand the sibling comparison as we are the only ones allowed to talk trash about other regions in Virginia. It has been quite the pleasure to learn more about Jersey and I appreciate your perspective on it.

3. I live in the Poconos, right on the border of Pennsylvania and New Jersey. As someone who is in New Jersey every other day, I am a full North Jersey advocate. I do not believe in a Central Jersey, yet I could see both sides of the argument. Geographically, you could say it exists, but I do not believe the culture is there to support that. I loved hearing your side of the New Jersey mindset throughout this blogging journey.

4. I find it a little funny that you spent most of the blog defining the difference between north and south Jersey, but start it out by saying that Central Jersey exists, haha. As someone not from Jersey, it’s interesting how a state nestled in between two massive cities outside of the state borders is defined by them. I guess it’s a little unfortunate, but whatever. Can’t be helped. I personally call sandwiches subs, and sprinkles are sprinkles, South Jersey. What’s up with “jimmies”?