Olympic National Park

Yet another hiking destination is Olympic National Park. Not too far out from the city, this is a trip you could take if you are ever in Seattle. With stunning views of mountains and the ocean, there are endless opportunities to explore a beautiful setting.

For those who prefer a trip to the city, there are single-day park tours that depart from and return to Seattle. Hitting many of the most well-known sights, this guided tour is perfect for those who want to experience the nature and views with a little more guidance. Being driven with your family in an SUV to Hurricane Ridge, you get to spend time here taking in the exquisite views. Hurricane Ridge is one of the most famous destinations in the park due to the amazing views you can get from so high up above the rest of the park at an elevation of over 5,200 feet. This park is situated along the Pacific Ocean, meaning that ground level is around zero, so this is quite high in comparison to the rest of the park.

Another stop on this guided tour would be Lake Crescent. This stunning lake sits at the base of mountains and is a common destination for visitors. It is famous for its bright blue color. The lake was formed by glaciers during the last Ice Age and is very deep. Many visitors come to view the lake and can imagine how it was formed over thousands of years. Once you are done with your tour, you are delivered right back to the city and can spend the rest of your trip exploring Seattle if that is more your style.

Another main attraction of the park is Mount Olympus. This towering snowcapped mountain sticks out above the green and is over 7,800 feet in elevation. It is a beautiful destination, and it is amazing to see the mountain emerging from the water. There are options to hike up, but to get to the top, you need mountain climbing experience as well as equipment. This is a serious undertaking that should only be completed by the well prepared.

Another part of the park is the rainforest portion. Getting over 12 feet of rain per year, (as a reference, State College gets around 41 inches or 3.4 feet) it is one of North America’s only true rainforests. Home to many hiking trails, you can even see the world’s largest Spruce Tree. It is much different from the climate of many of the other parks I have written about before, especially contrasting the desert climate of Sedona and Zion. This is a unique opportunity to see the rainforest climate from within the US.

Olympic National Park seems like a very cool place to visit. If I am ever in Seattle, I will likely spend most of my time exploring Olympic National Park. There are many different aspects to see, including the viewpoint from atop Hurricane Ridge, the lake formed by glaciers, the towering Mount Olympus, and even a rainforest. I hope that I get to visit Olympic National Park some day soon!

Citation:

“Outdoor Activities in Olympic National Park.” Tripadvisor, https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Products-g143047-zfg12022-Olympic_National_Park_Washington.html.

One thought on “Olympic National Park

1. Another stunning place! Hurricane Ridge certainly has an ominous name, but it looks super cool. I love that you can take guided tours here; that is definitely something my family would take advantage of. This place seems to have something everyone can enjoy with lots of different scenery. Thanks for another great post!