The Survival Story of Mary Vincent

This is an extremely interesting case that left me in shock of the amazing capabilities of a young girl.  A story of survival, and being forced to test the limits of the both the mental and physical capacity of a teen.  This case is a bit horrific, but stick with me! There is a happy ending.

In September of 1978 in Northern California, 15 year old Mary Vincent ran away from her home.  She was headed to Los Angeles, hoping to get lucky and start a new dance career.  Holding a sign that said “heading south,” a kind old man named Lawrence Singleton picked her up (hitchhiking was much more popular at this time).  The man immediately made her comfortable –– Lawrence reminded her of her grandfather and seemed nice.  Due to this level of comfort and exhaustion, Mary soon fell asleep.  Upon waking up, Mary noticed that they were going the wrong direction.  She promptly corrected Singleton, who made excuses, and continued on their way together.

Eventually, Singleton made a quick stop for a bathroom break in a remote area.  Mary realized her shoe was untied, which worried her, because she realized she might need to make a get away.  She hoped out of the car, and everything went black.  Lawrence had hit Mary over the head with a sledge hammer.  She awoke to a terrifying realization: Mary was now tied up in the back of the van with each of her arms tied to opposite walls.  Singleton repeatedly took advantage of her throughout the next night.

The next morning, Mary begged for her release.  Singleton responded, “If you want to be set free, I’ll set you free.”  He then approached the young girl, and severed both of her arms with an axe.  While Mary slipped in and out of consciousness, Singleton proceeded to throw her off of a near 30 foot cliff and drove off.  Mary starred death in the face, but feared for the poor girl to cross Singleton next.  With nothing but the will to save others, Mary managed to climb the cliff (yes, climb the cliff without arms) and flag down another passing car.  After being driven to the hospital, Mary miraculously survived!!

Just 10 days later, Singleton was identified by Mary and charged.  Mary went on to start a family of her own and begin a successful art career (yes, again, without arms).  She even went on to do some motivational speeches!

I hope this was interesting and not too gory!  So the next time you think that finishing an assignment is impossible, at least you don’t have to climb a cliff without arms.

3 thoughts on “The Survival Story of Mary Vincent

1. This is a very interesting story and it is very inspirational to see how she survived and escaped given the almost impossible circumstances. It was very cool hearing how since they terrible incident she has be able to have a successful life. Stories like these are very inspiring.

2. Wow this case was very intresting, I could never imagine being in Mary’s shoes and in that situation. I also justreally find your passion blog to be so intriguing because I never would have heard of this case if you hadn’t brought it up.

3. I love how you chose a survivors story for this weeks blog. Once again, I was drawn to this story since it is not one I have previously heard about. I can’t wait to read next weeks entry!