Passion blog 7

For my final blog post, I decided to write about an iconic artifact in Istanbul called “kiz kulesi” also known as “maidens tower”.  Standing on a small island at the entrance of the Bosphorus Strait stands an iconic tower. This tower – called the maidens tower-  has significance both historically and culturally. With it’s iconic design and placement, this ancient tower has caused significant attraction and interest to both visitors and residents for centuries. In this blog post, I will talk about the charming and fascinating landmark of Istanbul known as the Maiden’s tower.

Due to its peculiar location, many legends have arised from this tower, thanks to the imagination of people. One of the most popular and known tale about this tower describes a story where a Byzantine emperor builds this tower after learning about a prophecy that his daughter will be killed by a snake, and moves her daughter to the tower for her safety. However, despite his efforts to protect his daughter, a snake hidden in a fruit basket bites his daughter and kills her. I remember hearing this tale as a child and finding it very fascinating. This shows how peculiar landmarks can be a source for legends.

Maiden's Tower

This tower is also architecturally pleasing due to its history. Originally built in the 5th century BCE by the Eastern Roman Empire(Byzantine empire) as a strategic defense fortification, the Maiden’s Tower has undergone numerous transformations over the centuries. Its elegant Easter Roman design elements can be reflected in the tower, contributing to its visual appeal. It has also been subjected to Ottoman rule and modern Turkish republic rule, with various renovations occurring. This shows how it was still a key part of Istanbul for the governments after the Eastern Roman empire.

Kız Kulesi - Vikipedi

As one of Istanbuls most recognizable and iconic landmarks, the Maiden’s Tower holds a special place in the heart of the inhabitants of the city. It can easily be said that it is a symbol of Istanbuls identity. The madiens tower has always had a significant part in the literature, art and popular culture of Istanbul. This makes it serve as a symbol of Istanbuls cultural identity and heritage.

Maidens Tower Stock Photo - Download Image Now - Maiden's Tower - Turkey, Istanbul, Bosphorus - iStockThe maidens tower still holds extreme relevance today. It is undoubtedly a big tourist attraction, with thousands of people coming from worldwide to see it with their own eyes. This allows the building to contribute to the economy of Istanbul and Turkey. It is also something that locals like visiting, I personally remember visiting it as a child. Although I don’t remember it in detail, I was still impressed as a child.

KIZ KULESI, Istanbul - Uskudar - Restaurant Reviews, Photos & Phone Number - Tripadvisor

In conclusion, the maiden tower is a major part of Istanbul,  culturally, historically and economically. It is important to preserve such buildings with care as they can be pat of a city’s identity.

Maiden’s Tower | Müze İstanbul (muze.gen.tr)

» The Maiden’s Tower, a landmark of Istanbul (barcelo.com)

One thought on “Passion blog 7”

1. Great post! This is super interesting and I have never knew anything about this so I learned a lot! Great work 🙂