Big Pharma Needs a Cap(sule) (intro + outline)

Big pharma, in the United States, has become an extremely profitable market. Many joining the field in hopes of riches, but that’s not how the prescription business started. With the creation of the original vaccines and medications many doctors and scientists rejoiced a cure or crutch for diseases and disorders. There seemed to be a genuine interest in helping others and sharing the findings. However, in modern day, many search for new medications in order to gain a large profit. This is seen by the excessive price of many prescriptions, company’s margins, and lack of policy capping prescription prices. You may wonder, why is big pharma such a big and profitable industry? Big pharma has found a way to justify high prices by claiming that research cost billions of dollars and treating prescriptions like a business opportunity. While, yes, research costs money, yes, prescriptions are sold but, millions of Americans can’t afford their life saving prescriptions as big pharma is now. Many prescriptions are unattainable because of the price regardless of the importance of the drug. Many of our elderly population requires multiple over priced prescriptions. With their lack of employment and living on savings and social security, it’s not enough money to live a healthy life. While there have been a few price caps already put in place, it’s not enough. Prescriptions like insulin have become capped the machine to inject it still remains absurdly expensive. Prescription that help with hemoglobin and autoimmune diseases have become exceedingly expensive even though these medications are required for the treatment. Insulin isn’t the only expensive prescription that needs a price cap. Big pharma cannot continue to be run like a business but be run as live saving service. As America doesn’t have universal health care and with prescription prices rising, there should be a federal policy capping the price for all prescription medications.

1st Body topic: Insulin cap

• insulin prescription has been caped
  • WEPA ACT
  • Biden administration cap
  • Why isn’t the injector capped too

2nd Body topic: Other prescription that aren’t capped

• hemoglobin prescriptions
  • autoimmune disease prescriptions
  • make policy that caps these prescriptions

3rd body topic: The elderly issues with perscriptions

• the elderly are the most affected
  • have bad insurance
  • little savings
  • social security isn’t enough

4th body topic: Bad insurance and paying the research

• insurances don’t cover all prescriptions
  • Make policy for universal health care
    • specified to elderly
  • Find better ways to pay for prescription research

Conclusion

One thought on “Big Pharma Needs a Cap(sule) (intro + outline)”

1. 1. While reading through your outline, it wasn’t very apparent what the organizational pattern is. At first, I thought your paper was going to follow along with Problem / Existing Plan / Counterplan when I saw the first body paragraph. In that particular paragraph, there was mention of a preexisting cap, and it seemed like you would be suggesting a way to make the cap more effective. That made sense to me, especially after there was mention of ineffective medication caps in the introduction. Then, I read your plans for your other paragraphs, and I don’t think they follow this organizational structure. I don’t think there’s really any organizational consistency beyond the intro and first body paragraph. I would suggest reading over the chart on the Keywords website and narrowing down what kind of organization you really want to follow and making any changes to stick to that.

2. There aren’t any topic sentences for me to really comment on. While reading the outline, I do think your thesis is a little misleading. You mention in the thesis that there should be a cap for all medications, then you only mention a couple. I also don’t think that the paragraph about the elderly relates to your thesis in any way.

3. There wasn’t any concrete evidence to look over.

4. I think some infographics relating to how health insurance works to cover medications would be helpful. You mention that insurance can’t cover all prescriptions, so I think including what exactly it does cover could be helpful with a visual.