Executive Board Bios

Meet the Board

Greta Gasswint, President

Anticipated Graduation: May 2020

Email: president.asme.psu@gmail.com

Hometown: Pittsburgh, PA

Minor(s): Engineering Leadership Development

Extracurricular Activities:Engineering Ambassadors, Vole: PSU Ballet Performance Company

Internship/Co-op/Research Experience:Internship, Turbulent Hydro in Santiago, Chile, Internship, Rockwell Automation in Cleveland, OH, Internship, Lockheed Martin in Syracuse, NY

Why did you choose Mechanical Engineering? I wanted a broad major in engineering and ME fit the bill. Coming in I had no idea what I wanted to do after graduation, or even what industry I wanted to eventually end up in. I was just lucky that I fell in love with the major I chose almost at random. ASME actually played a big role in my choice to stay, because I had great role models to ask questions and get advice about classes and the major from.

What do you plan to do after graduation? I’m probably going into industry (I think I’d like to end up in commercial aerospace) but I am also considering getting a technical masters right out of undergrad. 

What is your favorite memory of ASME? Okay, two things – firstly, the one I’m going to remember forever is meeting the amazing people on exec. The people who have been on the board with me for years now are some of my best friends, and I never would have met them otherwise. Working with everyone on the board (past and present) has been endlessly rewarding with networking and personal connections. It’s the little things that made me love the org and want to continue cultivating that space for future students.
Second, my favorite straight up memory was hosting E-Fest in 2018. I got to run the Student Design Competition and it was inspiring to see the teams from all over the world coming to Penn State and sharing their hard work. While it wasn’t easy, the end result truly changed my life and I wouldn’t have missed it for the world. Also, we got to hang out with Go Go Gadget. That was cool.

Julia Ogrodnik, Vice President

Anticipated Graduation:Fall 2020

Email: jno5078@psu.edu

Hometown: Golden, CO

Extracurricular Activities: Career Envoy for the College of Engineering, Facilitator for the Women in Engineering study groups, Donor and Alumni Relations THON committee

Internship/Co-op/Research Experience:Co-op at Volvo Trucks (Spring 2018), internship at Michelin (summer 2018), research for my thesis in the Reacting Flow Dynamics Lab on variable turbulence swirlers (present), and internship with Mars (summer 2019)

Why did you choose Mechanical Engineering?I loved the versatility and wide variety of opportunities available to mechanical engineers.

What do you plan to do after graduation?I plan to work in industry after graduation

What is your favorite memory of ASME? My favorite memory is helping to run the All About ME events by being a panel member where I was able to give advice to underclassmen students about my experience in mechanical engineering!

Micaela Stover, Treasurer

Anticipated Graduation:May 2021

Email: mks5925@psu.edu

Hometown: Fombell, PA

Minor(s):Engineering Entrepreneurship and Innovation

Extracurricular Activities:Engineering Ambassadors

Internship/Co-op/Research Experience: Intern with the Ellwood Group (steel industry), Intern with Naval Nuclear Laboratory,
Research with Dr. Simpson (Additive manufacturing)

Why did you choose Mechanical Engineering?I choose mechanical engineering because it gives me so many opportunities to chose what I want to do after graduation.

What do you plan to do after graduation? I plan to go into industry, hopefully working for the Naval Nuclear Laboratory.

Connor DeJohn, Secretary

Anticipated Graduation:May 2021

Email: cmd6271@psu.edu

Hometown: Macungie, Pennsylvania

Extracurricular Activities: Club Swim, THON

Why did you choose Mechanical Engineering? Width breadth of things you can do in industry with it

What do you plan to do after graduation? Work for a few years then get my MBA

What is your favorite memory of ASME? Tailgates during football season

Tyler Douglas, Webmaster

Anticipated Graduation: May 2021

Email: tzd5208@psu.edu

Hometown: Greencastle, PA

Minor(s): Engineering Leadership Development

Extracurricular Activities:Engineering Ambassadors, Engineering House

Internship/Co-op/Research Experience: Summer 2017/Summer 2018 – CAD Engineering Intern at Frederick, Seibert, Summer 2019 – Associates and Mechanical Engineering and Operations Intern at Axalta

Why did you choose Mechanical Engineering? I wanted to pick a sector of engineering that offered a wide variety of career options, as I am still discovering where my interests lie. I also have a passion for the engineering design process, and love working in teams with engineers from different backgrounds, and felt that ME gave me the best opportunity to do so.

What do you plan to do after graduation? I plan to go into design or industry upon graduation, and have strong interest in the defense and automotive sectors. At some point I would like to either continue my education with an MBA.

What is your favorite memory of ASME? Helping to run ASME E-Fest East as a freshman was by far my favorite experience within ASME. It was awesome to talk to engineers from across the country about their HPVC and Student Design Competition projects that they were so passionate about, and getting to know them.

Max Hulak, Outreach Director

Anticipated Graduation: May 2020

Email: gmh5262@psu.edu

Hometown: Mars, PA

Extracurricular Activities:IM Sports, Video Games, Weightlifting

Internship/Co-op/Research Experience: Summer 2018 – Manufacturing Intern at FarWest Fabricators
Summer 2019 – Manufacturing Intern at Ford

Why did you choose Mechanical Engineering? Mechanical engineering is likely the broadest discipline of engineering available. I initially planned to become an electrical engineer, but my Dad pushed me towards mechanical engineering due to the wide variety of possible career paths. I chose engineering so I could made a positive impact in the world and improve the lives of many.

What do you plan to do after graduation?I plan to work in industry for a few years to gain some experience in the field, then pursue a MS or MEng. I feel as though I will have a better idea of what exactly I want out of a Master’s degree once I have that industry experience, allowing me to better choose a program that will be beneficial.

What is your favorite memory of ASME? While I was thrown into the HPVC student lead position at the ASME EFest hosted at PSU in Spring 2018 with little idea of how much work I would have to do, the end product was very satisfying. When I walked into the BJC and saw all the decorations they had put up for EFest and I met the ASME chapters from all across the globe, I knew I made the right choice to volunteer my efforts. I put in months of planning and hours of group calls to organize my event, but I learned so much from the experience. The memories of standing out in the freezing cold rain on that Sunday while I communicated with the national ASME HPVC leads will never leave me.

Design Director, Jason Johnson

Anticipated Graduation:May 2020

Email: jgj5053@psu.edu

Hometown: Newburgh, IN

Minor(s): Mechatronics

Extracurricular Activities: Camping/High Adventure, Roller Blading, Band/Orchestra

Internship/Co-op/Research Experience: Manufacturing Engineering Intern at BWX Technologies

Why did you choose Mechanical Engineering? Mechanical Engineering had the widest variety of fields that it covers

What do you plan to do after graduation? Grad School or Officer Certification School

What is your favorite memory of ASME? Chain Reaction Design Team Purdue Trip

Logistics Officer, Jeremy Spicher 

Anticipated Graduation: May 2021

Email: jws6575@psu.edu

Hometown: Beaver Falls, PA

Extracurricular Activities: ASME

Internship/Co-op/Research Experience: Internship with Westinghouse Nuclear during the summer of 2019

Why did you choose Mechanical Engineering? I chose mechanical engineering because of my natural strengths in math and physics, and the many possibilities with an ME degree.

What do you plan to do after graduation? Work at a company that will allow me to grow and improve myself.

Logistics Officer, Owen McFeely

Anticipated Graduation: May 2021

Email: ogm5017@psu.edu

Hometown: Centre Hall, PA

Extracurricular Activities: ASME Chain Reaction Club, Boulevard Community Service Organization

Why did you choose Mechanical Engineering? I like to learn how different machines and devices work. I also like how broad the Mechanical Engineering field is, which has many different career opportunities.

What do you plan to do after graduation? Work in the manufacturing industry or another related field

What is your favorite memory of ASME? Joining the ASME Chain Reaction club and taking part of the designing, building, and testing of the machine.

Logistics Office, Kirsten McCarty

Anticipated Graduation: May 2020

Email: ksm5461@psu.edu

Hometown: Wyalusing, PA

Extracurricular Activities Navigators (10:10 Team Leader), ASME Chain Reaction (Design Directer)

Internship/C0-op/Research Experience: Manufacturing Engineering Intern at Proctor & Gamble

Why did you choose Mechanical Engineering? I chose Mechanical Engineering because I made a Rube Goldberg machine in Science Olympiad in high school. I enjoyed the creativity and design thinking needed for the project, in addition to the tangible nature of it. Mechanical engineering allows me to work on projects similar to this one as my career.

What do you plan to do after graduation? I plan on working for the government or a defense contractor, bettering the security of our nation.

What is your favorite memory of ASME? My favorite ASME memory was traveling with our Chain Reaction Team to Purdue University to attend the national competition. It was a long drive, but getting to know my teammates better and meeting students from other schools was awesome!

FACULTY ADVISOR

Dr. Steven Lynch – Assistant Professor of Mechanical Engineering
331 Reber Building
spl11@psu.edu