Reducing the effects of stereotype threats

image: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/07/opinion/sunday/intelligence-and-the-stereotype-threat.html?_r=0

A stereotype threat is defined as the fear or anxiety that an individual can experience when they’re confronted with confirming a negative stereotype about their group. (Schneider, et al, 2012) When this anxiety is experienced in an academic setting it can cripple a student and prevent the development of a positive self-concept. (Schneider, et al, 2012)  Researchers Steele and Aronson (1995) conducted four studies that tested the correlation of culturally applied negative stereotypes on test performance.

Steele and Aronson postulated that a stereotype threat is a self-evaluative threat. (Steele and Aronson, 1995, p. 797 ) Meaning the very existence of negative labels can elicit certain responses and thus cause for the receiver of this threat a disruption. (Steele and Aronson, 1995, p. 797 ) There are several groups that are often stereotyped. Some of the more common stereotypes are: black and latino groups and individuals from lower socioeconomic statuses are often labeled as underachievers and women are believed to be not as proficient in math.

What can happen in an academic environment is a student who is experiencing a threat may exhibit anxiety that could disrupt their academic performance. If this threat persists a student may even go so far as to redefine their self-concept by detaching their self worth or personal identity from their scholastic achievement. (Steele and Aronson, 1995, p. 797 ) When this behavioral mechanism takes place an individual may lose interest and motivation.  (Steele and Aronson, 1995, p. 797 )  Researcher Steele suggests that prolonged exposure to these negative threats can not only hinder academic ability but cause an internalized “inferiority anxiety.”

There have been several studies conducted that have focused on the role of anxiety in stereotype threats. A study done by  Blascovich et al. (2001) found that when African American students were taking tests their blood pressure rose faster and remained higher than the blood pressure of White students and non-threatened African Americans. (Blascovich, Spencer, Quinn & Steele, 2001) The under threat African American students also reportedly did worse on the Remote Associates Test.

Although stereotype threats seem hard to avoid there have been well documented suggestions that could significantly improve any academic environment.  In 2009 the National Center for Educational Evaluation conducted three studies and found these social psychological strategies that helped improved academic performance:

• Create interventions that encourage students to have a more open-minded approach to learning. Helping them understand that we all learn at different ways and that stumbling is just part of the process.

• Encourage students to have a well rounded school experience and teach them to value other aspects of their personal identity. This will encourage a sense of self worth and a positive self concept.

• Help students and teachers understand stereotype threats and how to address them when they arise in an academic environment. Making students and teachers aware of the existence of stereotype threats has been shown to positively impact student test performance.

Ben-Zeev, T., Fein, S., & Inzlicht, M. (2005). Arousal and stereotype threat.Journal of Experimental Social Psychology, 41(2), 174-181.

Blascovich, J., Spencer, S. J., Quinn, D., & Steele, C. (2001). African Americans And High Blood Pressure: The Role Of Stereotype Threat. Psychological Science,12(3), 225-229.

Reducing Threat in classrooms: a review of social psychological intervention studies on improving the achievement of black students. (n.d.). Issues & Answers. Retrieved March 27, 2014, from http://files.eric.ed.gov/fulltext/ED506004.pd

Schneider, F. W., Gruman, J. A., & Coutts, L. M. (2005). Applied social psychology: understanding and addressing social and practical problems. Thousand Oaks, Calif.: SAGE Publications.

Steele, C. M., & Aronson, J. (1995). Stereotype Threat And The Intellectual Test Performance Of African Americans..Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 69(5), 797-811.

3 comments

1. When I was in high school we were required to take basic computer programming during our freshman year. I had a computer early and helped others use an old desktop when I was in kindergarten. Because of my fondness for programming and interest in pursuing it as a career, I registered to take C++ as my elective during my sophomore year. However, on the first day of class I found that I was the only female in the course. Trying to strike up a conversation with my surrounding classmates was like pulling teeth. They didn’t ask me for help, and I got the feeling I wasn’t welcome to any help either. I began to feel like I was going against a stereotype that girls didn’t like memorizing computer code. I knew this to be false, but I started to fall behind. My outlook on programming started to become more negative, and in my immature state of being, I transferred out of the course. I don’t feel disappointed that I didn’t end up with a career in computer programming. With that being said, I do wish that the stereotype effect hadn’t claimed me as a casualty. I agree with the evaluation by the National Center for Education in preventing the stereotype effect. When we celebrate unique skill sets displayed by male and females, we are open to new ideas and solutions.

Bowen et al., (2013) tested how the stereotype effect is influenced by the environmental stimuli within the classroom. When individuals were asked to write a self-affirming essay that was reviewed by their teacher two weeks later, their grades were much higher by the end of the year. Acknowledging one’s unique characteristics, interests, and skills as being positive solidifies their importance as well. I can recall completing an activity like this many times at the start of a new semester, and now I understand why! This is a simple and effective intervention that can be practiced at all age groups.

Reference:

Bowen, N.K., Wegmann, K.M., & Weber, K.C. (2013). Enhancing a brief writing intervention to combat stereotype threat among middle-school students. Journal of Educational Psychology, 105(2), 427-435

2. You mention in your discussion what can happen in an academic environment to a student who experiences a stereotype threat and the role of anxiety in stereotype threats play in performance.

In addition to academic settings, stereotype threats occur in the workplace and in social encounters. Stereotyping leads to bias conclusions. For example, a number of employees are hired from India to support a customer service call center in Ohio. A stereotype occurs when a Caucasian call center employee has doubts about the new hire’s abilities. It is the Caucasian employee’s perception that “the Indian’s English” is not good enough which will irritate customers calling for assistance and makes his job harder. What the employee does not know is that the group is made up of US born and raised citizens that speak fluent American English. The employee’s stereotype led to a bias conclusion. Understanding stereotypes in the workplace can help employees prevent passing judgments. The application of social psychology to workplace behavior is not only vital, but essential in creating an environment where diverse perspectives, ideas, and opinions embrace the broader variety of backgrounds, skill, and experience brought from the differences in individuals.

In regard to stereotypes in social settings, a particularly salient characteristic of first impressions is physical appearance, especially attractiveness. Individuals who are physically attractive benefit from the halo effect. This phenomenon, also referred to as the “what is beautiful is good” stereotype, refers to the process by which people who are physically attractive are assumed to possess a number of other favorable qualities as well, such as being warm, friendly, and intelligent (Kowalski & Westen 2005). To some extent we can each relate and perhaps be guilty of dishing out unmerited “halos”. The phenomenon is partially created in our society because in our American culture we place a high value on the exterior of things and people. We create sayings that penetrate our contemporary pop culture which appear to lash out at the halo effect phenomena such as a popular saying; “don’t judge a book by its cover.” The irony is that within the saying is a protest not to judge people based on looks but, rather on merit. Yet, the halo effect is prevalent and present for most of us. The ideal of how someone is perceived at first meeting makes a lasting impression and generates a speedy internal judgment. For example, if a young man came to the door with saggy pants, a shirt that was three times bigger than his true size, and wearing his hat awkwardly backward and slightly to the side to pick up a daughter for a date, the father might jump to the conclusion that this person is sloppy, does not care about his appearance, is unmotivated, and disrespectful. In contrast, if another young man presented himself well groomed, dressed neat and stylish, the father may think that this boy is ambitious, secure and well to do. The conclusions were drawn solely based on first impression and clothing. The conclusion may be true or not. The neat boy may have a drug problem and the “sloppy” boy may be an honor student with a scholarship. First impressions are essentially the initial schemas people form when they encounter someone for the first time. Schemas are the patterns of thought hypothesized to organize human experience. As in other cognitive domains, schemas guide information processing about people and relationships. They direct attention, organize encoding, and influence retrieval (Kowalski & Westen 2005). Schematic processing can go awry, however, when schemas are so rigidly or automatically applied that they preclude the processing of new information. This often occurs with stereotypes, characteristics attributed to people based on their membership in specific groups. Stereotypes are intimately related to prejudice. Prejudice, which literally means prejudgment, involves judging people based on (usually negative) stereotypes. Prejudice involves one’s thoughts or cognitions about another person or group, whereas discrimination refers to behaviors that follow from negative evaluations or attitudes toward members of particular groups. Prejudice requires a distinction between in-groups and out-groups people who belong to the group and those who do not (Kowalski & Westen 2005). The danger in a prejudice point of view is that group-think can be disastrous in environments because it can sway members towards the populist ideas and undermine an open mind.

Reference
    Kowalski, R., & Western, D. (2009). Psychology (5th ed.)

3. Jennifer Theresa Cass

Stereotype threats can weigh heavily on an individual’s confidence and self-concept. A stereotype threat happens when an individual experiences fear or anxiety due to a confirming negative stereotype about their group (Schneider, Gruman & Coutts 2012).

It is not surprising that stereotype threats have the ability to effect an individual’s academic performance. Students who experience difficulties whether it be social, behavioral or emotional, tend to have a harder time reaching their academic potential (Schneider, Gruman & Coutts 2012, pg.207). A student who deals with stereotype threats are likely to experience fear and anxiety which may cause them to be distracted from their school work. If this sense of fear and anxiety is ongoing it will most likely impact their grades.

Like you stated, stereotypes are very hard to avoid. I think that the suggestions you provided are a great way to try and reduce stereotypes from occurring. It is important for individual’s to be aware and educated on the subject in order for it to occur less.

Reference
    Schneider, F. W., Gruman, J. A., and Coutts, L. M. (Eds.) (2012). Applied Social Psychology: Understanding and Addressing Social and Practical Problems (2nd ed.).