Technology in the Workplace

The use of computers and other technology has become so common in the workplace that people fail to realize that these devices can sometimes actually hinder one’s intellectual abilities and competence, as well as deskilling users. In the modern world of technology, computers are heavily relied on day in and day out. Technological devices are used in jobs such as retail, healthcare, construction, and financial services to name a few. Despite these technologies being used to enhance job performance and efficiency, they are actually making society dumber and may be harming businesses.

For example, users have developed a huge dependence on these devices. Technology may be used for research, production, transportation, etc. (PSU WC, 2014). Users who depend on technology to complete work-related tasks lack certain skills that people generations ago would have been better-equipped with, including writing skills. In today’s society computers encourage the use of programs such as Microsoft Word and Email. Not only are humans relying on Microsoft Word for formatting their writing, they also rely on this program’s ability to detect spelling, punctuation, and grammatical errors for them (PSU WC, 2014).

The use of Email not only reduces users’ writing and social skills by discouraging face-to-face contact between individuals or groups of people, the common technology also leads to miscommunication between users (Kruger et al., 2005). Email may be a fast way to communicate, however, that does not mean it may be used to communicate effectively. Businesses who rely heavily on Email communications may experience problems regarding encoding and decoding messages (Kruger et al., 2005). This in turn creates havoc. When messages are misconstrued, businesses may experience several problems (i.e. unhealthy work relationships, financial problems, etc.).

In one of my classes that I took last semester, we discussed how technology is taking over the business world. Workers used to be skilled and masters at what they did. Now, however, workers are being replaced by machines and as a result, workers are becoming incompetent and deskilled (PSU WC., 2014). In some cases, technology is even taking worker’s jobs away from them. In factories, for instance, heavy machinery is used to produce products that would have taken several workers to make. Unfortunately, these factors decrease job satisfaction and work motivation in workers (Schneider et al., 2012). Employers may also place blame on workers for errors that were beyond their control, such as problems with machinery (i.e. fundamental attribution error) (Schneider et al., 2012).

Overall, technologies used in the workplace decrease thinking for oneself and discourages problem-solving abilities. It is clear that businesses rely very heavily on these technologies which is in turn weakening the skills and abilities of the individual. Unfortunately, these problems come at a major cost to businesses. Do you think that businesses should rely so heavily on technology? Should technology use be limited in certain workplaces?

Kruger, J., Epley, N., Parker, J., & Ng, Z. (2005). Egocentrism over e-mail: Can we communicate as well as we think? Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 89(6), 925-925-936. doi:10.1037/0022-3514.89.6.925

PSU WC. (2014). PSYCH424: Lesson 6, Intergroup Relations. Retrieved from https://courses.worldcampus.psu.edu/su14/psych424/001/content/07_lesson/01_page.html

Schneider, F. W., Gruman, J. A., and Coutts, L. M. (Eds.) (2012). Applied Social Psychology: Understanding and Addressing Social and Practical Problems (2nd ed.). Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications. ISBN 978-1412976381

Tags: , ,

3 comments

1. I agree with you that technologies used in the workplace decrease thinking for oneself and discourages problem-solving abilities. As you pointed out what it said on the Applied Social Psychology lesson that we developed a huge dependence on technologies. For me, over the past 20 years, I have lost my ability to write grammatically highly accurate, correctly spelled paper in short period of time without my PC. Over the past 5 years, I have lost my ability to find my place on map quickly and read maps without my mobile phone. On the other hand, I can find nearby hospital, police station, grocery shop, banks at speed unimaginable 10 years ago. There are so many pro and con to technology. I feel a lot of negatives I perceive are result of knowing how things used to be and the changes I had to make. The old ways seem somewhat easier, more satisfying.

I have experienced the lack of electricity availability after the great earth quake in Northern Japan in 2011, and felt the fear of telephone lines not working at the most important time when I wanted to call to make sure my kids were safe. That earthquake was once in 300 to 400 year thing, but it was something that happened in my time. When I saw the movie, Gravity, it seemed too real for me. I keep fearing the time will come when we do not have electricity, as without electricity, none of the technology will work, smart phone that needs the battery charged, Internet that needs charged viewing device, refrigerator that can not keep food cold, pitch dark nights. As the Lesson9: Media/Communication Technology on PSU WC (2014) points out, educational interventions can be offered for usage of technology, but also, preventive intervention will help. Being prepared for the worst with emergency pack that includes paper map book, candles with matches, or buying a small sized generator may be little things, but they give us the feeling that we are prepared in the best way we can be in case of technology breakdown.

Resource

Penn State University (2014). Psychology 424: Applied Social Psychology Course. Chapter 6 : Intergroup Relations. Doi : https://courses.worldcampus.psu.edu/su14/psych424/001/content/09_lesson/01_page.html

2. Prior to reading your post, I recognized that people were being replaced by machines in the workplace, but had never considered the ways in which technology has de-skilled people.

I remember as a child writing papers in black ink on loose-leaf paper before my family owned a computer. The process of writing, making a mistake, rewriting, and so on, was excruciating and generally left me feeling like I had carpel tunnel. Since I have had the privilege of learning about and using computers, my life has been tremendously improved. For one thing, I don’t have to spend hours upon hours writing until my wrist feels broken. But, you are completely correct about people’s over-reliance on technology. I am guilty of relying on spell-check and word counts and grammatical checks. I feel that I am lucky to understand how much technology has helped me in life, but am afraid that younger generations do not understand just how privileged they are.

I work with kindergarten children who often know more about the computer than I do, at the ripe age of five. While I am impressed with their technological knowledge and their independence, I am dismayed at their ability to find answers without knowing HOW to find the answer.

In this day and age, we have endless information available at our fingertips. Need directions, Google Maps. Hungry? Just search your town and a few key words. Want to track how far you’ve run? There’s an app for that. We spend so much time absorbed in technology that sometimes I wonder what would be left if the internet came crashing down. We’d be left with a generation of lost and unintelligent people.

If you have time, please watch the following video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7dLU6fk9QY&feature=kp

Turk, G. (2014, April 25). Look Up. YouTube. Retrieved June 16, 2014, from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7dLU6fk9QY&feature=kp

3. I agree that workers are being deskilled by technology and all Americans are losing the basic writing skills they were taught in school. I work with students with autism and the other day one of the students said to me “b r b” meaning of course, be right back. I had to shake my head. When the students write short paragraphs I find text acronyms all through the paper. I shudder to think how we will write and talk in 10 or 20 years. Back in 2005 or 2006 there was a movie titled: Idiocracy, you can see it on you tube (www.youtube.com). I strongly urge you to watch this movie if you haven’t seen it, I am afraid it may be prophetic.