Be mindful at your day spa

I just recently spent the day at a spa in California with my best friend and my sister-in-law. It was one of the most amazing and relaxing I had all summer. When you enter this particular spa your whole mood changes. There are water fountains, water walls, and water towers that are constantly flowing as you walk by. Once you check in and get settled into your luxurious white robe, you are gently guided to a large hot pool surrounded by tropical plants. When you need a break from the heat, you have the option to take a quick splash in the cold pool or cool your face with an ice water cucumber washcloth.

screen-shot-2016-09-18-at-12-38-35-pm

The American spa industry utilizes millions of gallons of water per year. The elevated usage of water in day spas around the country is extremely high due to constant growth in the spa industry. There are a total of 20,180 spa locations in North America as of 2013, according to the website experienceispa.com. I stated in the paragraph above all of the exposures I had with water, just imagine how much water is used per spa visit each per year.

screen-shot-2016-09-18-at-12-55-52-pm

Water utilization in spas is high due to the usage of pools, steam rooms, rain showers, soaks, scrubs, and services. In addition to constant water use in the spa setting, there should also be a consideration of the usage of towels, robes, and washcloths within the spa. An easy ways for spas to conserve water is to properly install water saving faucets with sensors, low flow shower heads to decrease water usage. Most companies also suggest to follow a regular maintenance schedule to fix any leaks they may have occurred or even so that the pools and hot tubs maintain the proper ph balance in order to not have them to be emptied and then refilled again.

Ultimately, when day spas implement day-to-day green practices, it is most effective for our water conservation. Demonstrating eco-friendly and mindful water practices displays the day spa’s overall mindful water practices.

http://www.sustainablebeautynetwork.com/energy-efficienc

Click to access Beauty_salons_fs2.pdf

1 comment

1. Hi!

I really appreciated your blog. Like you, I also focused on a nonrenewable resource as the focus of my environmental blog; the environment is among my greatest interests. I have never been to a spa before, and based on your post, I’m not sure if I ever necessarily want to go to one! Do you know whether or not they change the water in the pools and hot tubs often, for sanitary purposes? While this would obviously be ideal, due to sanitation purposes, it only adds to their use of water.

I liked your inclusion of suggestions of how spas can continue to be the relaxation havens they are, with an environmentally conscious twist. I think the suggestions you made are similar to that of hotels. After reading your post, I feel like an environmentally friendly spa could be a good business pitch!