Chromium-6 in Drinking Water A Major Concern

Is there anything not found in tap water? Scuttl (2016) reported in a CNN article that chromium-6 has been found in millions of Americans’ tap water. This raises major concerns because chromium-6 is a heavy metal and considered as a carcinogen. It is unclear of what level poses health problems. In 2008, scientists conducted an experiment which involved putting chromium-6 in the drinking water of mice and rats. Scientists discovered that mice and rats got cancer because of consuming chromium-6 in their drinking water. David Andrews is a scientist who discovered a link between stomach cancer and people who are exposed to chromium-6 (Scuttl). This can be seen in individuals who work in the coal mining industries. They are frequently exposed to rare types of metals. It can also be found in cooling tower plants, textile industries and in stainless steel production.

This is a major concern especially for those who do not purchase bottled water or water purifiers. I am one who is good for purchasing 3 cases of water per week because I do not trust water. Every time the water company sends a report of the quality of the tap water, I spend a great deal of time pondering about it. Although the area that I live in reports that the water quality is good, I still prefer bottled water. I wonder if that even matters when tap water is used for cooking even though it is purified when boiled at a certain temperature. I think the EPA should put more effort into regulations on tap water. The article also stated that it is a possibility that this can cause problems for the development of a fetus during pregnancy such as those seen in the led problem in Flint Michigan. It is imperative that the EPA address this major concern and notify the public with what’s going on. IN 2017, the EPA will give a public statement on the full health assessment of chromium (Scuttl, 2016). Hopefully they are honest with the public. That is what one can only hope for.

Scuttl, S. (2016, September 21). New report finds chromium-6 in US drinking water. Retrieved December 04, 2016, from http://www.cnn.com/2016/09/20/health/chromium-6-in-drinking-water/index.html