Lesson 9 Blog

Greetings to All!

This week we focused on social issues of technology and social media. A development that much of the world is involved in. To have grown up at a young age in this era where not many had a cell phone to now small children having a need for one is surprising. It is amazing how society believes they cannot survive without a cell phone or social media when centuries before, people did just fine. Don’t get me wrong I enjoy my electronics and am also a member of social media and at times cringe when I don’t have my phone by my side, but it appears that this trend has its negative sides. So often I see groups of friends and family out for dinner or even at the movies and they are not communicating with each other but instead, are on their cell phones checking the latest post on a social media site. It truly is sad when we start to replace true physical communication and affection with that solely of empty technology.

I especially feel that our youth is even more influenced by these things. Even more so, I feel, than when I was growing up. The pressures that these technologies have unfortunately put on children, is quite depressing. At times, it seems the media is directly targeting attempts to take away a child’s youth at such an important stage when they are trying to develop their own identity but instead are being manipulated by false media portrayals. What we must note is that technology, unfortunately gives false visions and hope. I do see and understand the benefits of social media and have reaped them in certain scenarios but there is more to life than these simple technologies.

One article that I read hypothesized the benefits of social media for those that have trouble communicating face to face. As once being a shy and quiet individual, this “social media” appears to be quite a relief for those that have been “peer victimized.” This study saw small but significant benefits of social support as opposed to face to face. The results though, that Cole, Nick, Zelkowitz, Roeder and Spinelli (2017) found in their experiment of social media, “facilitates cybervictimization, the effects of which can be devastating but the other hand, social media may also generate a new kind of social support that operates in ways that are similar to, but not completely redundant of, in-person social support” (pg. 462). This statement appears to be vague and not totally supportive of the full benefits of social media.

The images and attitudes that are pushed upon society through social media and technology seem to be seen everywhere. As much as having the internet at your fingertips can be beneficial, it has also gotten to the point where it can be harmful; physically, mentally and emotionally. The lack of physical communication that our generation is encountering, can hinder views of reality. I hope that as social media and technology grows even greater, we learn to reduce the negative influences it can have on children and society.

Thank you J

Andrea

Cole, D. A., Nick, E. A., Zelkowitz, R. L., Roeder, K. M., & Spinelli, T. (2017). Online social support for young people: Does it recapitulate in-person social support; can it help? Computers in Human Behavior, 68, 456-464. doi:http://dx.doi.org.ezaccess.libraries.psu.edu/10.1016/j.chb.2016.11.058

2 comments

1. Whitney A Seeney

Hello!
    You make a very good point in saying that social media gives false hopes and visions. It has the power to manipulate the mind to thinking that one should look, feel, or act a certain way. It’s sad that people use social media in negative ways. However, it still have its positive impacts such as creating awareness, getting exposure, and creating a platform where people can feel comfortable to express themselves. Overall, the use of media is very prominent in our society and i’m sure it will only grow throughout the years. You gave great insight!

2. I agree- across the board! It is amazing to see how dependent our youth is on electronics and media to get them through the day. It isn’t used a reward but rather an addition tool in raising a child. Though there are countless benefits to having such technology and knowledge at our fingertips, I believe the lines of communication are diminishing between adolescents and their families due to overuse of such devices.

Similarly, I wrote my blog about today’s youth and their exposure to media internet and the ramifications that can result from overuse. Cyberbullying, sexting, and Facebook Depression were just a few things that a study found in youth, ages 9-14, because of spending much of their time on social media.

Overall, I think that parents should be informed of the negative outcomes that are possible for children who have a constant connection to social media and internet.
    Thanks for your post ?