Evolution and social changes

Evolution has been such a great gift to mankind. Evolution guarantees social change. The social changes experienced by each generation makes the different from generation to generation. The more knowledge we seem to have about the world around us, the more radical the changes become in our society. Based on the social changes I have experienced in my generation, I believe that this generation is one of the most freeing generation to date. In saying that I mean that we have a lot more freedom and acceptance to do, say, and act as we please. Of course there are judgments but that rarely stops the social change that has taken place.

“Human culture is information transmitted from person to person via teaching and imitation, much as genes are information transmitted from person to person in the course of reproduction. Like genes, sociocultural evolution has a pattern of descent with modification. Of course, the evolution of culture and social institutions differs in many ways from the evolution of genes. Perhaps most important, culture is a system for the inheritance of acquired variation. What individuals learn for themselves by hard effort others often imitate, typically at much less cost (Evolution).”

If you speak to an older person, they tend to recall a very different society than the one we have now. In most cases they recall a more conservative society, people were not as open. The changes over the years are astonishing, it is fun to look back and compare our social changes to that of the past!

“Evolution. Figure 2f from: Irimia R, Gottschling M (2016) Taxonomic Revision of Rochefortia Sw. (Ehretiaceae, Boraginales). Biodiversity Data Journal 4: e7720. Https://Doi.org/10.3897/BDJ.4.e7720.” doi:10.3897/bdj.4.e7720.figure2f.

4 comments

1. Stephanie R Subedi

I think this is a great post. Evolution can be seen as a gift. I believe that evolution is what helps us become better to ourselves and our future. Reading your post there are stereotypes out there, but that is humans processing information that can be understood from the concept premeditated subconsciously in our brain for the fight or flight response. Categorizing things is the way we can make sense of our world.

2. It is interesting how you compared social changes to evolution. In evolution genes change and species live or die based on natural selection. This is the same for social changes they way we communicate has changed drastically over thousands of years, now we can communicate through technology. The old ways communicating through writing letters are dying out.

3. And just to be clear, I have no problem with homosexuals. I believe everyone has a right to find love with who they are naturally attracted too. The Hollywood agenda to constatntly put it in our faces is a little annoying (as I believe they paint an unrealistic view of how prevalent it is, which can confuse our children) but the point I was making is that it is one of the most drastic changes of society since the internet became affordable for almost everyone in America.

4. I agree with you that people in this generation are very free to do, say, and act as they please. It is interesting that the more knowledge we have about the world around us, the more radical social evolutionary changes are. I believe that the introduction of the internet to the masses, in the last few decades, has exponentially increased the laypersons knowledge of the world; leading to drastic changes that happen rapidly. The mainstream acceptance of homosexuality and same sex marriages are something that I never could have imagined as a child. This generation is also a lot less religious, in general, than our parents were and families seem to be more distant. Children seem more attached to there iPad screens than their parents. Parents seem to be less involved in the rearing of their children and more prone to let said iPad babysit them. I don’t know, a lot of things have changed in the past twenty years and it makes me wonder if an increase of knowledge, about the ways of the world, is the cause? I consider myself an intellect and take pride in learning about any and everything I can… but perhaps there was a reason why God told Adam and Eve to not eat from the tree of knowledge?